Shower remodeling quotes
How detailed should quotes from contractors be for you to be comfortable signing them? 

We're looking to have our 1970s shower/tub replaced with a newer tub and tile design.  Both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms will be done.  At the same time, we'll be replacing all existing plumbing for these with Pex.  When the plumbing is done, we'll be adding an extra shutoff value where the water comes in as well as shutoff valves in the laundry room for each water source that doesn't already have one.

I provided an outline with stuff like the shutoff valves to the contractors who then sent me high level, one page quotes of the work.  By high level, I mean there's one line saying 'Replace home plumbing with Pex - $xxxx' and nothing mentioned about the shutoff valves.

All the contractors have good recommendations.  Is this how it's normally done and I shouldn't worry about my specific requirements and details in what they will be doing? 

Should I have them update their quote to include the detailed requirements I provided and then sign them?   I don't want to come across as too controlling, but I also don't want to get halfway into the work and have them say it's extra to change anything not specified in their quote.  

What do you think?
I would definitely get those details included in the quote.  In addition, the person doing the work might not be the person working up the quote.
I've been a contractor for... well almost too long. All of my proposals are very detailed. For example I wouldn't write "...and install 7 doors." I write "install 4) 2/6 x 6/8 and 1) 2/10 x 6/8, six panel molded, smooth, door units with split jambs and finger-jointed and primed 2 1/2" colonial casing. install 2) 5/0 x 6/8 bi-passing closet door units (with details as above). Install handle sets provided by others."  I do this so there are no assumptions as to what's included, and I review every word with my customers.

I suggest you add some detail your list, specifying if pipe sizes, manifold if desired, types of lead free valves (qtr. turn angle stop, ball valve, stop and waste) and ask the contractor to include it as part of their proposal by simply referring to it as "attached list" The Contract should also state the start date, anticipated completion date (don't add a penalty clause, the price WILL be higher) and what the rates are for additional work and unforeseen circumstances. I've stopped doing the somewhat typical 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, payment schedule. I ask for material cost up front, with progress payments starting with "Materials on site, commencement of work" and finishing with "complete or substantially complete" with the last payment (equal to about 10%) "following customer walk-thru." I also advise customers of any additional charges as soon as I am aware of them; even if I don't know how much it will cost yet. Those charges are due when the particular "extra" is completed; not added to the final payment. I run a fair and honest business. I have learned that most customers also want to be fair and honest. All of my work is from referrals so I must be doing something right.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"