new starrett quality
Can you post photos?  Really would like to see what you were sent.
Yes
I recently bought a 6" Starrett combination square - returned it as quality didn't compare to my older Starrett squares. For example the knob for the scribe was loose in the box - the square just didn't work smoothly - didn't say where it was made

The smooth finish Starrett have forged heads and are their best

The crinkle finish squares are cast - budget

My older squares which are excellent and a joy to use say "Made in Scotland' on them

I'm looking for an older Starrett 6" combo
Vintage squares can often be more value add; Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Lufkin, Orange, even vintage Craftsman; they all competed against each other, and had to produce quality stuff back in the day and all resell for a fraction of new.  Each are more than adequate for woodworking as they were made for machinists.  Newer manufactures like PEC make squares plenty good enough for woodworking as well, google Harry Epstein, they carry PEC "blems" that are the best value out there.  Just one example is a 6" double square blem, can't beat that price with a stick......

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/6...r-usa.html

or the 12" combo blem....

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/1...r-usa.html

that being said, I personally prefer Starrett as they are entirely consistent notwithstanding their age or vintage, I've not found an vintage one in the wild that was not square as the owners tended to take care of them; but I keep the really, really good stuff for myself.....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I think the quality went down sometime in the '90s, or possibly before that.  I worked with a guy that got a telescoping bore gauge, and it wasn't drilled through, so it didn't telescope.  How long would that possibly have taken to check?  Called Starrett, guy said "it's only $20, what do you expect?"  Now they are $35, or you can get the Chinese set for $30.  Pretty sure the Chinese set works, not positive about the Starrett.  

I'm guessing if it's an item they sell to someone that can check the accuracy, it works pretty well.  Other than that, you might be better off going with another brand.  Although I wonder if they even check a mic head against a standard. I know for the metrology I do, I just skip over their stuff.

However, last I checked, they still make really good hacksaw blades.
I recently noticed a crack in the glass lens on my Starrett dial caliper.  I called and they said to send it in for an estimate, at my cost, of course.  It took forever, so I called them and said I was waiting for an estimate and they replied that they didn't have my caliper.  Then they e-mailed the estimate after a few days. 
No  

For $10.00 more than the quoted repair price, I could have bought a new one; and that is not counting the shipping and handling fees on top of the repair cost.  I said to just keep it, but it did arrive back, unrepaired; and they covered the shipping cost.  They probably felt a little embarrassed about the whole episode, or sorry for me.

I'm not dumping on their product.  I have more than a few of them and think they are unsurpassed.  Disappointing service can lead a person to reconsider future purchases.
Mike, try Long Island Indicator.  They sell parts for Starrett. http://www.longislandindicator.com/p72.html#Starrett
Glad it's not just me.... Well, no - I wish it was just me. 

It's one of those things that I would buy, and KNOW it was perfect. Well, had always assumed it was perfect.

Some years ago, I realized some of my measurements \ fits were just a "consistent" hair off. Took me forever to figure out my 4" double square was 1/32" short. Not that the markings were off, but the piece of metal - the blade or beam - was SHORT (which of course also threw off the measurements). It really ticked me off in the blind confidence that I've had in this supposed tool \ manufacturer was misplaced. I have spent several hundred in Starrett gear for my woodworking - and it really smarts. 

I bought the tool, probably 15 years ago, at Woodcraft. Unfortunately, when I called - it was, "out of warranty." 

Guess it's sad that I'm not an anomaly.
Somewhat interesting reading but my 49 years tool making are over. I still have my tools. Out of all to the different brands, I fount that when it came to squares I preferred Starrett the best. Lufkin came in second and starrett blades interchange. Lufkin mikes I think were the best, followed so closely by Starrett it was a tose up. 

I am getting off subject. I would recommend the Starrett hardened steel square. You can't go wrong. Quality is long remembered after a cheap price is forgotten.

Tom
A few comments-no matter what the make of measuring instrument, it needs calibrated. A brand spanking new micrometer, usually comes with a standard, an adjusting wrench and instructions. Also, when speaking of mics, you must "acquire" the right touch, be it a ratcheting or friction style mic.

I can't respond to other posts in this thread, without seeing the instrument and the standard used for comparison. In my opinion, Starret, Mititoyo, Brown & Sharp are very high quality. Next in line would be Fowler, PEC, and maybe a few others. After that are a whole slew of lesser quality devices that can work. Regardless of the quality level, all must be calibrated and regularly checked against a known standard, traceable to NIST.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-16-2017, 09:22 AM)Tony Z Wrote: A few comments-no matter what the make of measuring instrument, it needs calibrated.  A brand spanking new micrometer, usually comes with a standard, an adjusting wrench and instructions.  Also, when speaking of mics, you must "acquire" the right touch, be it a ratcheting or friction style mic.

I can't respond to other posts in this thread, without seeing the instrument and the standard used for comparison.  In my opinion, Starret, Mititoyo, Brown & Sharp are very high quality.  Next in line would be Fowler, PEC, and maybe a few others.  After that are a whole slew of lesser quality devices that can work.  Regardless of the quality level, all must be calibrated and regularly checked against a known standard, traceable to NIST.
I agree with Tony regarding the "Big three"...but there other brands out there that take it to an even higher level..like the Swiss made Etalon..They are rare but they are out there...I have several Swiss made measuring instruments that I have snagged at flea markets, tool meets and yard sales...I think lots of "tool guys" pass them up because they have never heard of the brand, but they just do not come any better IMO....

Click on the size and the price will appear

http://www.judgetool.com/etalondialindic...eters.aspx
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset