Cost Counter Tops
I have 2 bids for approx. 122 SF of granite, 1 for $8850 1 3/16 thick and the other $3435 for 1 1/16 thick. They both have A+ rating with the BBB. The higher price has a 4.5 * from google and the lesser has a 5. If this stands up, I'll give up the 1/8" for $5400. Is granite rated like some plywood has better filling than others. the cheaper 1 is family owned since 2006, the other Corp. owned. The granite prices are $638 and $ 1200. Any expertise out there?
Jim
I have 7 kitchens in the thinner stone and even more baths in it no issues but it requres 5/8" ply under it where the thicker stuff doesn't.  One is 2 cm the other is 3
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Remember the Corp has more cost in advertising and overhead that you are paying for
Do mean putting the ply reinforcement into the cabinet so it's flush the cabinet sides, front and backs?
Jim
It sounds like you're comparing apples to grapefruits.  Go to a granite supplier in your area and pick out slabs that you like.  There can be a really big difference in price in the types of granite you pick.  Get your contractors to bid on installing those slabs.  If you're asking them to give you a price on the cheapest granite they can get, and you don't care what the granite looks like, at least get a quote on the same thickness, 2 or 3cm.
Bob
you can inset the ply if you want to but most often the cabs are covered in 5/8" ply. the finished edge of the 2 cm counter is doubled up and hides the ply.

[Image: Chandler-AZ-Granite-2CM-Countertop-Edge-...aces-1.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-15-2017, 01:22 AM)BobW Wrote: It sounds like you're comparing apples to grapefruits.  Go to a granite supplier in your area and pick out slabs that you like.  There can be a really big difference in price in the types of granite you pick.  Get your contractors to bid on installing those slabs.  If you're asking them to give you a price on the cheapest granite they can get, and you don't care what the granite looks like, at least get a quote on the same thickness, 2 or 3cm.

Thanks BOBW, I'm doing the makeover myself except for the granite ("a good man knows his limitations"). The most 2 expensive ones are 3cm but the 2 lower ones are 2cm. Thanks for input.
Jim
You've been helpful also. Thanks.
Jim
If you go with 2cm, please give us detailed photos and an account of how it goes. I've never seen a top done in 2cm, we always use 3cm. I'm curious as to how it a 2cm looks when finished. I'm a cabinet installer so we don't get to see the end product much. I'd like to see how this turns out.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I can't do much without photobucket

[Image: IS-hocw6384dkkd.jpg]

Phil Thien