Measuring Board Feet
I'm going to be selling some Iroko and have a couple of questions about board feet.

The boards are rough cut and all 14' long and about 1-1/8 inches thick.  Widths vary from 6-1/8 to 12 inches.  My question is: Do these boards count as 5/4 and, if so, how do I accurately determine and state board feet?

For example, one of the boards is 1-1/8 inches thick by 10-1/4 inches wide by 14 feet long.  Would the formula be 1.25 (thickness) x 10.25 (width) x 168 (length) divided by 144 which equals 14.95 board feet.

Or, would it be 1.125 (thickness) x 10.25 (width) x 168 (length) divided by 168 which equals 13.45 board feet?

I milled one of the boards down to S3S.  The thickness ended up being 15/16 inches.  Do I then figure board feet based on the rough cut or the actual finished dimensions?

Inquiring minds need to know!  Thanks!
No.

5/4 should be 1-1/4 rough. You can advertise it as 1-1/8 rough then calculate the board footage based on that thickness.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
in the rough the calculation is Thickness x width x length. 

you do not add for what you never had. 

as for the S3s you milled use the same rough scale and add for the milling
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I knew you guys would know the answer. Thanks!
Just get an app for your phone. I haven't done a calc by hand since!
(07-14-2017, 07:54 PM)cvillewood Wrote: Just get an app for your phone. I haven't done a calc by hand since!

Not everyone has a computer phone.
Wink 
(07-15-2017, 03:00 AM)Herb G Wrote: Not everyone has a computer phone.

I use the old-fashioned computer.  Four feet between wheel wells in the pickup times length.  I usually get an extra board or two freebies from the mill to make sure.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
A good link for the rules too. That version is very nice. Now a fav for my computer

Thanks.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I am good with the rules/understanding, the mention was for a version to pass onto noobs. I had always searched hardwood lumber measurement which gets some good links, but not the NHLA rules
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW