interior door question
I just trimmed an interior, milled panel, non-locking door to fit a smaller opening. I wound up with a 3 1/8" lock stile.  My lock rail is 6".
My question is; can I put the old 2 3/8" backset door knob in new door without hurting the door integrity? Or do I need to go the mortise latch route?
Thanks in advance for any advise.
[size=undefined]Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
                                                   -Walter Blodget[/size]
You could use a surface applied dummy knob?  What holds the door closed???

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
you can do it but it will look funny 

in hindsight you probably needed to trim both stiles equally to retain at least some semblance of continuity 

And if you have two stiles ~ 3" you probably should not have even bothered cutting it down 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

via latch & strike
[size=undefined]Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
                                                   -Walter Blodget[/size]
JGrout - I did trim evenly on both stiles, both stiles are each 3 1/8" wide.
                                                   -Walter Blodget[/size]
(07-15-2017, 09:42 PM)Tincanman Wrote: JGrout - I did trim evenly on both stiles, both stiles are each 3 1/8" wide.

IME it would have been faster to rip the stiles off recut the panels and rails and reassemble. 

set your lock in the lock rail it is just going to look odd. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy