grain orientation on furniture
(07-18-2017, 08:45 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: ...What is the grain orientation for the top of the piece?...the back would be a continuation of same, as though the top were folded over and down the back...

Some people have a tin ear for music. Would you also approve of running the face horizontally because it could appear the top were folded over and down the front? Come on!
Smile
Wood is good. 
(07-16-2017, 10:38 AM)falcon Wrote: Yeah, I was afraid someone would suggest that.  But I think it would look better too.  I just didn't want to go to the trouble.

Thanks for the input.
Well, I went for the three panels.  I think it looks the best.  As far as the back being somewhat unsightly, I am adding some trim pieces that I think will make the back look acceptable, if not sort of neat.  

As soon as I have completed the project I'll post a couple of pictures and show you how it turned out.  

Until then, thanks to everyone for their input.  It was helpful and informative.
OK.  So I decided to orient the grain of the back of this sofa table vertically.  I am trying to send pictures of the finished project.  Hope it goes through.

[Image: 37063022871_6786dd3971_n.jpg]IMG_20170910_112255357 (2) 

[Image: 36391037563_ec638cae0f_n.jpg]IMG_20170910_112144695 

Well, it looks like I got it to work.  FINALLY!!  Anyway, here it is.  And thanks for all the input to the original question.  Very helpful.

Ray B
When I moved into my house there was a peninsula in the kitchen.  One side had cabinet doors and the other side had a single sheet of matching plywood to cover the back of the cabinets.  

The grain was run horizontally and it looked like what it was:  An effort to cover the back with a single sheet to avoid the batten.  It looked all wrong.  I changed it when I did a kitchen update.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Looks like the right way to do it. Nice job.
Great job! I think you made a good decision on the grain direction.
Thanks, everyone.
I like the tri panel Rorschach look. Nice piece
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW