grain orientation on furniture
Hi, folks.

I'd like to get some comments from the experts on this forum concerning the grain pattern of a piece of furniture.  I have built this item for my wife and I want to put a back on it.  The piece is made from 3/4 solid red oak.  I want to put an oak plywood back on it but I don't know which way I should orient the grain.  If I orient the grain horizontally I can use just one piece of ply.  If I orient the grain vertically I will have to use more than one piece and splice it.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
falcon

https://www.flickr.com/gp/133488933@N04/7aHA75
I think I would go for vertical grain alignment and use three pieces so the seams fall on the dividers.
Yeah, I was afraid someone would suggest that.  But I think it would look better too.  I just didn't want to go to the trouble.

Thanks for the input.
(07-16-2017, 10:33 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I think I would go for vertical grain alignment and use three pieces so the seams fall on the dividers.

This. Although it may be possible to find plywood with the grain running width-wise.
Wood is good. 
I know. It's not a simple but it'll bother you forever if you run the grain horizontally.
(07-16-2017, 10:33 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I think I would go for vertical grain alignment and use three pieces so the seams fall on the dividers.

I know, I asked and someone told me.  If I didn't want the answer I was looking for I shouldn't have asked.  Thanks DaveR1.  I really do appreciate the reply.
(07-16-2017, 10:38 AM)falcon Wrote: Yeah, I was afraid someone would suggest that.  But I think it would look better too.  I just didn't want to go to the trouble.

Thanks for the input.

(07-16-2017, 10:45 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I know. It's not a simple but it'll bother you forever if you run the grain horizontally.
Yeah, I know that too.  I might add, "been there, done that".  I guess I'll bite the bullet and do the right thing and use three pieces.  I doubt it very much if I could ever find a piece of ply with the grain running horizontally.  

Thanks again DaveR1.  Can't say you made my day but you confirmed what I was thinking.  Going with your suggestion.
You can still get 3 pieces out of a 2x8 sheet,   if you wanted to go that way.    Roly
Unless you are going to actually see the back from the outside when the oiece is in situ I don't see it as a significant issue. Once the piece is full of stuff much less of the back will be on view from the inside and what is visible will be in pretty deep shade, so I would be surprised if the grain orienatation would be very at all obvious.  I would go for a single piece and I'm prftty picky about how my pieces look both overall and in detail.  Just as importantly the chances that anyone else will notice, let alone think anything is amiss are, in my opinion, close to zero.  Furniture making is hard enough without beating ourselves up about things that don't matter.

Jim

OP said "I have built this item for my wife"

No time to go skrimping and saving, either on the work, or the material cost. Do it right the first time, and life will be good for you. 37 years this September. I've learned "yes dear" and to do it right. Allows me to sleep without fear
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW