Flag case size
Need to build a case for a 3 x 5 flag? I don't have the flag but was told 14 1/2 base and 7 1/2 tall. 1 3/4 thick

Sound right?

Gonna default to a place that makes them to sell they say bigger

My Dads case also houses his medals/ribbons, and a few pics, so I am not sure for flag only.

If you have the folded flag, you have inside dimension, snug is better than sloppy as far as keeping the form.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If you do the math when folding the flag that it'll be folded in half, then half again length-wise first.  That'll leave a 7.5" X 60" shape.  When the first triangle is made the length of the hypotenuse is 7.5 x the square root of 2... giving about 13".  I would assume that due to the bulkiness of folding along the length of 5', it would grow in length a little along the hypotenuse and end up with 14.5".

... and after I figured all this out and typed a response, I realized I have a folded 3 X 5 upstairs.  Actual measurements are 9" sides, 14.5" hypotenuse, and 2" thick.
Thanks cams- I make plenty of "funeral" flag cases- this is a smaller flag. I think you nailed it