Finishing a plywood woodshop floor?
Hi,

I have a heated space above a garage that I'm going to use as a wood shop. The floor is OSB. My first thought was to leave it unfinished, since it's just going to get dinged up anyway. But one person has suggested polyurethaning it or the OSB would "disintegrate" and another has suggested Rust-oleum's Restore paint.

Is it worth finishing this floor? If so, how?

Thank you,
   Bob
The OSB won't disintegrate.   It is hard to sweep clean.
(07-17-2017, 04:59 PM)KC Wrote: The OSB won't disintegrate.   It is hard to sweep clean.

This. My shop at my previous house had an OSB floor over the plywood subfloor. It did just fine, but it was hard to sweep, if you care. I rarely swept so didn't care.
Big Grin
I think I would hate an OSB floor in the shop.  I'd be tempted to put a smoother underlayment over top of the OSB.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'd love to have a wood floor, but not OSB.
If you do finish it, I would use an epoxy paint.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-18-2017, 08:27 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I think I would hate an OSB floor in the shop.  I'd be tempted to put a smoother underlayment over top of the OSB.

I have osb in the shop addition and painted it with exterior floor paint a nice tan color I even filled the T&G gaps to even it out 

it is just fine without covering it up with anything else and when /if I retire and convert it to a man cave it is all but ready for floor covering
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-18-2017, 11:06 AM)JGrout Wrote: I have osb in the shop addition and painted it with exterior floor paint a nice tan color I even filled the T&G gaps to even it out 

I did not paint mine directly. the overspray when I painted the walls (also OSB) took care of that.
Laugh
Any topcoat finish you add will make it slicker--especially with saw dust on it. However, any top coat finish will make sweeping up the dust easier. How's your footing? How's your time and do you want to spend more money? I don't see the durability being affected unless there will be fluids on it.