Shrinking a design?
I've been asked to make a trestle table, and I'm liking the one from the Aug2017 FWW.  Nice proportions and designed to be easy to make.  That table is 3' x 8'.  Now, the preacher wants it to be 2' x 4' in order to serve a purpose in a constrained space.

I figure I can get him to fudge dimensions of the top to something like 24" x 40" so we get that golden ratio.  I'm more curious about the right way to shrink the rest of it.  The height can't change much because that's determined by human height.

But base, and more particular the thicknesses of the base parts, should they change?  For example, in all the spots where it calls for 1.5" thick stock, should I use 1" stock?  If not, will it make the design look chunky from having a smaller top and still big thick base?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Something like this? I took a half inch off the thickness of all of the base parts. I think it looks like a pretty change. I made the table 48 in. long though. Much shorter and it becomes a pedestal table. BTW, I only spent about 10 minutes modifying it. Maybe some parts could use a bit more refinement. The ends of the feet and the short top rails might be able to give up some height making the tapers more pronounced.
Dave, your willingness to help never ceases to amaze me.  

John
Thank you John.

It was easy enough for me to make the modification to this table. I already have the SketchUp model for this table since I did the plans for it for Fine Woodworking.
Wink
You can still use the 1.5 stock and just taper midway to the bottom would thin it out nicely. On the top you can also taper off some of the bottom even tho it is the same thickness it looks thinner
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Dave is a huge benefactor to this site, again, and again.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Wow Dave!  Thank you!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

Deacon Board Approved!  Construction begins:  material will by Lyptus!

Cool! How did you modify the design?
I have got to learn SketchUp (he says again, and again).