Insulation in basement got wet; mold concerns
Fiberglass insulation in corner of basement got wet and paper has turned black.  Drywall is still good but LOML wants it ripped out, treated and redone.

Do I need to wear a mask? any other precautions to take while I do the demo?  There will be bleach and Kilz involved before new insulation, etc is applied.

Suspected source is joint between house and covered front porch -- seems we got a hard driving rain blown in from the west than ran over porch and into joint and down wall.  Sealing it will be first step.
Sigh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Yes, Fescue should wear a mask when he tears that out.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(07-18-2017, 02:14 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Yes, Fescue should wear a mask when he tears that out.

You are an optimist.
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Black mold? Yes on the gloves and mask.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Make sure you use the proper filters for your mask. Paper filters or even the filters used for spray painting will not trap mold spores. Did remediation for years. If you are not allergic to whatever type of mold you have it will not bother you. If you are allergic it can be bad. In addition, we always did all of the work in an enclosed area with negative pressure supplied. This kept the spores from spreading thru the rest of the home. Also I would sugest spraying with microban instead of bleach. Works better and no bleach fumes which can also be bad for you. I don't know how big of an area you are talking about. if a large area you might have homeowners insurance that would cover remediation and replacement. Poliies are all writen differently, but most of the work we did was covered by insurance. Retired for four years now, so I have not kept up with all of the changes.
I've never worm a mask. Never bothered me.    [Image: silly-face-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(07-19-2017, 12:13 PM)daddo Wrote: I've never worm a mask. Never bothered me.     [Image: silly-face-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Eating the paint chips had already done the damage.
Big Grin
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Yes, wear a mask.  I think it's dusty enough that you would want to do that anyway, when I'm messing with the ceiling insulation in my basement with no mold, I have to wear a mask.  I also found that ripping the drywall out would make enough dust from the insulation that I wanted a mask.  I don't think that was from mold, just from fiberglass.  

I recently went through this because of a plumbing leak.  Started ripping that out, and realized that I should have done this years ago, because the occasional late winter flood produced some mold in the walls.  Replaced it with foam board, so hopefully if I ever get a flood in the future, it will just be a matter of ripping out the drywall.  Actually hoping to avoid that, because i'm caulking it pretty well.