Drill Press question
So after a couple of weeks of scouring and posting on CL I finally got a hit from a guy fairly close by, I scored a Powermatic 1150 with variable speed for $400, it's in really nice condition although the motor is not original and it desperately needs to be cleaned and is screaming for a repaint.

Does anyone know a resource for stripping down these old machines and repainting them?
Just tear it apart and take a lot of pictures as you go along so you know how it goes back together. Zip lock bags are great to keep parts together. OWWM IS A good resource. I have a ton of pictures when I tore apart my vs 1200. I might be able to help you
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(08-02-2017, 08:17 AM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: So after a couple of weeks of scouring and posting on CL I finally got a hit from a guy fairly close by, I scored a Powermatic 1150 with variable speed for $400, it's in really nice condition although the motor is not original and it desperately needs to be cleaned and is screaming for a repaint.

Does anyone know a resource for stripping down these old machines and repainting them?

Owwm is the place to go, search on 1150 and you will find a bunch of threads.  If you haven't joined yet, by all means do.  Good group of folks, just dont ask anything about what a machine is worth, they have a rule against appraisals.
(07-26-2017, 03:19 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: Very noble of you to contribute lol

Laugh out loud all you want - "correct is correct" never changes.

FWIW, I bought a new Delta 17-965 drill press 12-15 years ago. At the time it was between it, the comparable Jet and a Grizzly model with similar specs. I later upgraded the chuck with a more hefty one and have been completely pleased with this tool. Granted, my drill press needs tend to be pretty straight forward and not very exotic, but I have no complaints. May be a different matter later if I have a need for parts, considering the state of availability from Delta.

Doug
Whats a good MT2 shank capable drill chuck with at least 1/2" capability? Folks prefer keyless? Albrecht?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Its no Clausing or 1200/1150 but I like the steel city 17. Also a fellow from here or smc gave me that 48x18 alum table a long time ago. Its back in action. I still owe him!

[Image: IMG_20170807_155524_zpsaxar6rjb.jpg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote:Laugh out loud all you want - "correct is correct" never changes.

OMG now I really am LMAO 

The latest and greatest grammar cop is in the house

Actually I should be impressed you actually deciphered an Acronym
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

as the proud owner of a Delta drill press from '94 or so, I have wondered if there really is any part on there that can't be reproduced. Or rather,  one that's likely to fail.
(08-07-2017, 10:21 PM)JGrout Wrote: OMG now I really am LMAO 

The latest and greatest grammar cop is in the house

Actually I should be impressed you actually deciphered an Acronym

Don't worry yourself "your majesty", the last thing I'll ever try to do is impress you. "Impression" is for those that comprehend.

Doug
I've never heard a hole complain what drill press was used to create it. But then sometimes I don't listen well.
Cool