Deep Root Waterer
I have a small island in my driveway that has steep sides. It is tough to water the plants there. I tried a couple sprinklers, but water just runs off. Looking around, I could see deep root water/fertilizers for 35-40 bucks. I knocked one together out of 1/2" PVC for about 6 bucks. I added a shut off valve and a garden hose adapter. The watering end has a sprinkler riser adapter on it, it is 1/2" threaded into the PVC and the other end is 1/4" tubing.
Made one from 1/2 gas pipe- pointed at the end. I have to hammer it down into the ground here in this clay soil.
I made one from 1/2" copper pipe & a few fittings. I cut the end of it on an angle & put a shut off valve on it too.
Works like a charm.
I put the 1/4" standoff on mine because of the clay and because the plants I'm watering aren't that big (yet). the bigger stuff I figure I can just water at several points around the roots.
Bury a rubber soaker hose around the perimeter of the bed.

[Image: soaker-hose-06302016.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.