Photobucket disaster
just got done deleting my account of 11 years
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(07-19-2017, 04:49 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: just got done deleting my account of 11 years

Doing it also. It will take awhile. They are finished in my book. Most stupid move by an established Net company in years. I can live without them and their ridiculous pop-up ads. Good bye Photobucket.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Sorry Steve, I have no clue what you were trying to tell me. 

John
(07-19-2017, 03:57 PM)Youngbuck Wrote: How do you post pictures here with google photos?

OK, let's see if I can get this right.  Open an account at Google Photos.  If you have G-Mail or some other Google account already it's just an add on.  OK, once you have a Photos account you can add photos to it a couple of different ways, using the Create or Upload buttons near the top, right corner.  I've had problems with privacy trying to post photos unless they are part of an Album, but never any problems posting them from an Album as long as you click the More Options, then Sharing Options, and then turn on the Share option.  It will automatically turn on the two lower buttons, too, but I turn those off because I don't want to let people have those options.  

OK, to post photos here click on the photo you want to post, then click your right mouse button and select "Copy Image Location".  With that done, come back to WoodNet, click on the Insert Image icon above, and paste the image location in the top box.  I almost never put anything in the width and height boxes, it normally comes out fine.  If you do it this way, you don't have to add ".jpg", or do anything else to the URL string, it just works.

Good luck.  

John
(07-19-2017, 07:43 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sorry Steve, I have no clue what you were trying to tell me. 

John

That due to the changes they have made in recent memory, they may not be the next best place to move too. Of course if PB isn't crazy, could be all of the free photo hosting is about to go poof.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The last time I tried to post photos of a walnut beam mantle I made for a new home, I couldn't......and I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was a user error on my part but it makes sense now. I recently tried the add attachment from my phone but the megapixels or kilopoxels or whatever the count was, was too much. I hope the free hosting doesn't go poof because it will hurt all online forum quality. If the new format wasn't enough, this will be a huge hit to participants in the long run.

Just testing

[Image: drRBntSo-UxzQo4_tc2fgvBmItumvT8xJEHWtSfx...52-h873-no]

OK, that's an image from Google Photo's, that's backed up automatically from my cellphone. Just did the share option something like what  Jteneyck suggested, and it seems to work. A bit cumbersome however.  Maybe that's on purpose by Google. 

The forum also has the "Attachment" option now, which seems to work OK. That means the image is stored on this forum, and will stay as long as the admins are happy to provide the disk space and bandwidth. But as someone else mentioned, pics straight from the camera probably need to be edited down to a sensible screen size first, which is extra steps as well. 

BTW, the pics are some Monterey Cypress trees I've basically been given. My favourite wood. Just have to work out some logistics about getting the processed. But that can be a whole other post.
I wonder about the size of that last image - it downloaded very slowly. This may be my server at present, or it may be a very large image. I resize all my images to about 90-100 Kb. In the past, for uploading to website forums such as WN, there is typically a limit of 100 Kb. (I use Photoshop Elements, which is overkill for some, but I write website articles as well).

I have used Photobucket for about 15 years and problems have been intermittent - occasionally they go down and are unaccessible. For most of this time I have had the cheapest paid account (about $30 p.a.), and it seems still to be linking - however I understand that PB will probably end this. If so, I will walk away.

I have already copied most of what I wish to keep to PostImage. This seems to me to be a better deal than all the other image websites as it has the facility to create categories in which one can save different types of images, and there is a direct link facility. Only Photobucket offered this combination up till now. 

PostImage is free - I really do not mind paying for a service. Nothing in life is completely free. So the free account at PI is a bonus.

Recent build ...

[Image: 28a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I just saved the web image to check, and it's 584kb, and 1552x873 pixels.  Arguably bigger than needed, but not a stupid sized file .  It would probably still look OK with a bit more compression. 

One thing I have noticed is that images of trees are really hard to compress, maybe the detail and contrast? The little table image is plenty sharp enough at 100kb, but it has big areas of uniform grey that compress up to almost nothing, leaving some bytes left for the sharp detail bits. When the whole image is "detail", it soon goes fuzzy.
Glad it worked.  Say, that's a nice team of horses; I love watching a good team of draft horses work. 

I've been using Google Photos since Google obsolesced Picassa.  That was even easier to use, but it's gone so you have to move on.  I tried PB, Flikr, and another platform and found Google Photos to better meet my needs.  Did I mention it has no ads?  I hate ads.  And a very nice feature is it will automatically copy photos from your phone, laptop, or other device to your Google Photos account if you set it up to do so. 

John