I need info on how to make a retirement box
I never got one when I retired from the Air Force after the bombing so I would like to make one for myself.  It needs to hold my flag, medals, and the dog tags I had gold plated when in Egypt.

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,
I've never built a retirement box, but had the job to put a couple together for others retiring.

Layout out your flag, medals and such in several different configurations to get a pleasing design. Do you intend to hang this on the wall or have a coffee table top kind of thing? It makes a difference. If picture framing, don't rely on the miter joints for strength, consider insetting metal corner brackets in the back. This thing could end up being heavy. You can arrange things as if they were being worn on you uniform, or you can arrange the medals like a border. One advantage of the border idea is that you can see the entire medal versus the top row covering parts of a lower row. Also, there is nothing wrong to display all the ribbons and medals, even though there may be duplication since every ribbon doesn't have a medal. Each of these mean a lot of work, or experience that are memorable to you. Also, don't forget that you might want to add each rank insignia you earned, as well as unit insignias. If you decide to use patches, then plan on gluing them to the backing with fabric glue. Patches also tell your story. The box doesn't have to be rectangular, but would be easier to build if it were. The flag is going to be the item that sets the depth of the box, you may want to try leaving the flag out and having it displayed in a triangular box separately. The flags come in various standard sizes so measure what you have. You may want to consider the flag being encased in its own box in a box to ensure it doesn't shift around during handling if you include the flag as part of your design. One retirement box we did used his family's tartan as one of the items in the box, this was meant to show the importance of family to his career. Use thick foam board for the backing to mount the medals, ribbons, and pins. This needs to be stiff enough to carry the weight of full sized medals. One option is to use miniature medals instead, but that can be expensive. Choose a pleasing material for the background and use spray adhesive to attach the material to the foam board. You do want to adhere the material to the board so that gravity doesnt cause the material to slip over time. One time I made my ROTC display and used an old fatique jacket for the background. Make the foam board a tight fit. A 1/4' plywood back is also required for stiffening the whole sheebang. There are different types of glass to choose from, there is a non-glare type, so go with what works best for you design.

Hope this helps.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Thanks.  That is way more then I planed on doing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

If you have the equipment & time it's well worth the effort. I've been Planning (for a very long time) to built one for my uncle that was killed in Anzio. As suggested, play with the possible lay outs, etc. I'm planning to make a square box to include the triangle for the flag included.

Don't give up. It'll be a good experience, use cheap wood (if there is such a thing) to try to get exactly what you want. Don't hnow many projects I've more than once.

Good luck
Jim
Arlin, you can see here that there is no standard form You just need enough space to get everything you want in, in. Beyond that square, triangular, whatever looks good to you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I kind of like this one and does not seem to hard to make.

http://www.militarywoodcrafters.com/pent...se-oak.jpg

What do you guys think and what kind of wood do you think I should use? or Several?

It has a good look to it Arlin. Wood and background color should work together, what kind of back were you thinking of having in it? I'm a fool for Cherry, and with Cherry I really like green felt, or DonJer or now called Flock it using "Suede Tex" fibers. But if you like the one because of the light Oak, you could use a light wood with the wine on the color chart
Big Grin

But you know who you should ask, as she will be dusting it, is your lovely wife
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve

It is the shape I like.  I am thinking of Black Walnut and that is as far as I got.
Laugh