Biggish tools - sell or move?
Just some thoughts and opinions from somebody who has lived in and around CLT for the majority of my life...just opinions.

Where to live in CLT is just like any other place....how much $ do you have and what do you like?  In general, East side and West side are less desirable due to more crime. Of course that is in general. South side is cool....anywhere in the Myers Park area is best of CLT but you will pay for that ...  University area can be really good too and cheaper but further from the airport.  Really depends on the factors i suggested.....and what style of place you want. 

Why CLT?

You may consider living in Rock Hill area since the airport close to SC.

Regarding CL....as I mentioned I use Raleigh and I also use the SC ones like Greenville. Heck, i also have deiven to ATL to buy something. Greenville is the best place in SC iMHO.....other than standing on the sand at the beach.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(07-21-2017, 08:05 AM)Scott W Wrote: Just some thoughts and opinions from somebody who has lived in and around CLT for the majority of my life...just opinions.

Where to live in CLT is just like any other place....how much $ do you have and what do you like?  In general, East side and West side are less desirable due to more crime. Of course that is in general. South side is cool....anywhere in the Myers Park area is best of CLT but you will pay for that ...  University area can be really good too and cheaper but further from the airport.  Really depends on the factors i suggested.....and what style of place you want. 

Why CLT?

You may consider living in Rock Hill area since the airport close to SC.

Regarding CL....as I mentioned I use Raleigh and I also use the SC ones like Greenville. Heck, i also have deiven to ATL to buy something. Greenville is the best place in SC iMHO.....other than standing on the sand at the beach.

Loml and i have made a few trips looking there. Greenville is a little too hippy for us and too far from CLT. We dont want to be in a city at all... Gaffney is not bad and a possibility as its not far from CLT for loml to go to work. Commuting from GSP takes longer than just driving to CLT. 
          Rock hill is another possibility that we liked. 

In NC we liked the areas north and west of CLT. Looking online the south east side looks interesting but havent been there yet.   Gastonia is a no due to crime etc but if we were away from it and just used it as a shopping area its fine. Sams, depot etc but the sams there is extremely busy compared to here but we have several here so hard to compare. 
                 There are some places west of gastonia that would be fine but the commute would be a bear since the freeway stops at gastonia and doesnt start till way west. They never finished that part and its still a state road with lots of traffic lights. 

Gas is cheaper in SC but overall taxes come out cheaper in NC. Property tax in sc can be cheap however some citys it is extraordinarily expensive. I prefer the area further north and west of CLT getting closer to the mountain and in the foothills. Even nicer there in the summer than CLT but any of those citys have much better summers than here in DFW. Biggest complaint of SC was the speed limits. They are very very slow. Ie 55mph on roads that should be 70-75mph. So take that into consideetion with distances and driving there as it takes much longer to get fro  place to place. However i rarely see the RCA (revenue collection authority aka speed traps and police cars at all) there. 

Shoot me a message if you want to know more details on what we liked and didnt.
We started originally looking more in the RDU area, but air travel is much better for me from CLT, and there are few basements in RTP area for some reason.  I want to have space for a shop, so a walkout basement, 3rd garage stall, or outbuilding would be great.  Right now my shop takes up our entire two car garage, which is a problem in the winter (less so in NC, I hope!  No 20" snowfalls and -15 temps).

I don't want to live in the city, but more suburbs or exurbs.  We've looked at Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Weddington, out to Concord and Kannapolis, up to Davidson, Mooresville, and out west towards Hickory.  

Houses seem to sell much more quickly in NC than in Cook County, IL.  :-)

SC taxes are higher for those of us that are still working, but other taxes in NC or SC are much lower than IL for sure.

-- John
Moved my entire two-stall garage shop from San Diego to Los Angeles (once it has to be packed up, distance seems largely irrelevant) and while it was a pain, the weight didn't enter into it.  Of course, I used a moving company and supervised the loading of shop equipment, but the prices I'd get for used and cost of buying new just couldn't justify that approach - except a few things where I wanted new and SWMBO approved.
A few thoughts here

Are you selling the stuff hoping the wife will let you buy better and new when you get there?

or

You do not like what you have and rather replace it?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I am in Concord. It takes me 45 minutes to get to the airport....assuming traffic is not stupid.

Lots of people like Matthews/Mint Hill. Cornelius is good too.

Kannapolis is an old Canon Mill town...textiles. that shut down and it has been somewhat depressed. Some very nice older homes but it's a town that kinda got left behind. 

Locust and Sranfield aldeserve a look if you want less people...more country type setting.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(07-21-2017, 12:28 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: A few thoughts here

Are you selling the stuff hoping the wife will let you buy better and new when you get there?

or

You do not like what you have and rather replace it?

Arlin,

A little of both :-)

-- John
(07-24-2017, 08:41 PM)meikj Wrote: Arlin,

A little of both :-)

-- John

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh   A good and honest man.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well, got a contract on the house in Chicago.  Now I really have to figure things out, including where to move to :-)

-- John