thinking about getting quartz countertops from the borg
The experiences with any of the box store's custom work is going to vary widely depending on where you are. I can't imagine it would hurt to get a quote and judge how things go for yourself. If nothing else you'll have one more number in your pocket that might be useful with other installers. there are no obligations with those quotes, and you might just want them t do the job. If not, you have only invested some of your time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
We got granite from a local company to replace our existing formica.  All of the cabinets are fine but we wanted to move our island a bit and make it longer.  They said it be a week before the granite would be ready.  I was to make the island.  Not a difficult build - BUT the counters were done in six days, not seven.  I was working on them at 5 am before the install guys arrived.  The original guy who did the measurements came with his father who used to do installs along the two installation guys to make sure the island was built per his print.   He expected trouble.  50 miles one way from the home office.  Everything fit like a glove.  He said that has never happened before, very surprised and happy.  People promise things and don't deliver.   Told him, "I was a fine woodworker!"
Big Grin
We had carpet installed by HD in our last house.  HD sends out one person to measure and give you a quote.  If you like it, then they sub out the carpet installation to someone else.  At least, this is how it worked 12 years ago.  The first guy measured a little short, but the installer ordered some more (at no cost to us) and they did a very good job.  I'm wondering if this is how they do their kitchen countertops.

Anyway, my coworker used Lowe's for a master bath remodel.  Took them 3 contractors to get it right at no extra cost to him (except a lot of time and aggravation).  On one hand, you don't get to pick the contractor, but on the other, Lowe's was behind my friend and tried everything to make it right.

If you can't find countertop installers on your own, I wonder who HD will find.
Someone posted somewhere to be careful about the thickness of the material, you might need to add plywood on the top of the cabinet.  Also I think your finished product will depend on how difficult your layout is.  Some kitchens would "almost" be person proof others not so much.
(07-21-2017, 08:37 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Someone posted somewhere to be careful about the thickness of the material, you might need to add plywood on the top of the cabinet.  Also I think your finished product will depend on how difficult your layout is.  Some kitchens would "almost" be person proof others not so much.

I would not get granite that is less than 3cm it is worth the extra money.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(07-21-2017, 04:49 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: If you can't find countertop installers on your own, I wonder who HD will find.
a lot of people come from out of the area.  We had USAA find us someone to redo our roof, they came from Pittsburgh.  Makes it tricky to find someone to do specialized work.
(07-22-2017, 09:04 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I would not get granite that is less than 3cm it is worth the extra money.

I've had both 2cm and 3cm. In my experience, either is fine. Yes, 3cm will be more expensive. The installer I used in my kitchen and bath remodel didn't do any 2cm.

As others have indicated, the magic to granite is the expertise of the installer. THe HD guy may be perfectly fine, who knows. The problem is you won't know who it is until he shows up and then you have no ability to check them out.

I would find a place in your general vicinity that does nothing but granite. Use Angie's List to find/vet them. AL is free now, so it's easy and cheap. I've had good luck with folks I got from AL.

My advise is to stop looking for the "cheapest price". That's prolly not in your best interest. If a vendor is 50% of the price of everybody else, that should be telling you something.....
chris
I don't feel like I'm looking for the cheapest price, but I was hoping to do it for a lot less than the quote I got.  If my expectations were unreasonable, I'll find out.  Looks like there are two places nearby that specialize in countertops, and I'll have to check with them.
How close are you to Chicago. Factory plaza did a good job for me. 1/2 the cost of anything local at the time. Not a top notch job but if it's not complicated with a simple edge go for it
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
I'm less than 5 miles from the geographic center of Pennsylvania