HANDTOOLS: Sweet and crisp T17 #5
Came across this one, it was covered in greasy stuff, almost didn't buy it, but under all the gunk was a pretty interesting wartime #5, crisp as they come.  This one can be precisely dated to between June and September 1942, due to the "342" stamped on the iron; so it was relatively early in T17 production, and another confirmatory indication is the machined steel adjuster nut, as they phased in the Bakelite nut, and the fact that this one still has the frog adjusting screw, so they were using up the castings inventory.  But it has the classic hardwood knob and tote (both solid) and the heavier castings, which I like in a #5 (one of my 3 users is a T17 set up for fine shavings) as it adds some more mass to the tool.  99% japanning, all parts original, no frankenplane here, plenty of iron, which I squared off and sharpened on the Tormek, and you can see how it tests out pulling full width shavings.  Small point, but interesting, is to note the forward screw on the tote, that's not a washer, the screw is designed that way with a broad face, I've never seen one like this before, but its the correct (and bas**rd) thread pitch.  So you learn something from every plane.

So, I'll stop with the minutiae, however interesting it may be to plane geeks/history buffs like myself.  Yours for $55 plus shipping.  Check out the pics at the album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...3913429613

First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and include your shipping address so I can print mailing labels and quote actual postage; I don't have paypal or other electronic funds transfer, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are ok.

As always, quality stuff at reasonable prices.  Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
"unauthorized access"
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

[Image: 35679216250_3bcdea4c39_b.jpg]

[Image: 35228912444_e042382d0d_b.jpg]

[Image: 35679217270_21cd51cb75_b.jpg]

[Image: 35228913664_1a0d75532d_b.jpg]

[Image: 35679218250_6de1712048_b.jpg]

[Image: 35228915054_78945c14d6_b.jpg]

[Image: 35228916374_09c157fe79_b.jpg]

[Image: 35679220620_d0c92a2aa6_b.jpg]

Well, then, we'll have to do it the old fashioned way......

enjoy the pics
Ok, $55 must be too rich, but it is a sweet plane if you refinish the handles so how about $50 plus shipping..... you'll like it!
I'll offer $55 and you pay shipping... I can paypal you immediately...

RodB
rodbrink@yahoo.com
Rich (Admiral) frequently posts quality tools at very reasonable prices. His descriptions are knowledgeable, detailed, and honest. His way of doing business is old school and clearly stated in his post for this tool and every tool he sells.

"First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and include your shipping address so I can print mailing labels and quote actual postage; I don't have paypal or other electronic funds transfer, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are ok."
PM sent
Plane is sold.  Thanks to all for looking.