Comments on flesh sensing saws....
What will be interesting to see is...now the two companies that are producing flesh sensing tech are German... not American with the 100 lawyers per square mile.
(07-26-2017, 02:21 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Money. This is all about money. Gass invented(reapplied/adapted existing technology) to build a safer machine. And did a really good job. Until he screwed things up by demanding his patent be the do all/be all for the industry(the money part) and, since he is a lawyer first and a humanitarian second(If one at all), created this entire crapshoot.

For the life of me, I don't get this attitude.  This guy was an entrepreneur, developed something unique, and is entitled to its benefits, so he patented it, which is a fundamental right granted explicitly by the Constitution itself - the "founding fathers original intent" for heaven's sake.  How more conservative a viewpoint can you get, yet there is the constant bashing of the guy.  Now he's sold it to Festool, a God of a company to some, yet he still gets bashed.  I honestly don't get it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I hope Gass is not retiring and will come up with another patent...I love fireworks.

Simon
(07-27-2017, 02:08 PM)Admiral Wrote: For the life of me, I don't get this attitude.  This guy was an entrepreneur, developed something unique, and is entitled to its benefits, so he patented it, which is a fundamental right granted explicitly by the Constitution itself - the "founding fathers original intent" for heaven's sake.  How more conservative a viewpoint can you get, yet there is the constant bashing of the guy.  Now he's sold it to Festool, a God of a company to some, yet he still gets bashed.  I honestly don't get it.

It was the illegal alien laborer law suit that Gass used to attack a contractor saw manufacturer company that put him in the scum category for me (along with the court that found a saw manufacturer at fault for the injuries to an unskilled, non-English-speaking worker making freehand .cuts on a tablesaw with all of the guards removed).

I have problems with the implementation of the US Patent Office where patent clerks who decide that they do not want to issue a patent will dig and dig until they can find something distantly related in prior art while a different patent application can successfully patent the concept of transmitting data from an aircraft to the ground in the 1980's (or '90's).
Sigh

I like the Bosch saw safety concept. I gather that Gass patented the concept of a TS not cutting the worker's finger(s) or some other fundamental concept that makes all other skin sensing concepts (including the ones that predate his patent disclosure) be violations of his patent.

My apologies for not taking this to the basement.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.