Any interest in camphor wood?
Hey guys, I have a bunch of camphor wood left over from a silver chest I built some time ago. The wood actually keeps silver from tarnishing. It is also fantastic for keeping tools from rusting. A little in tool cabinet works wonders. The wood smells just like Vic's salve when you mill it and it has a very strong smell. One swipe with a hand plane and your nose will be clear. The thing is it isn't really available in the US. I had to order it from China. The boards were all cut small to ship in large boxes. They are probably 4"x24"X1". I Figure I could ship it full size or cut it up for flat rate boxes if there is any interest. If there is interest I will have to work out pricing since I can't find anyone who sells dimensional camphor in the US.
(07-21-2017, 08:00 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: They are probably 4"x24"X1".

Dave USPS has this flat rate box It looks like you could go almost full length. I would be interested in a box full, let me know what you need for price, and how best to get it to you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yes, I know. It's called a game board box. They are stinking hard to find though. I may just have to try ordering them directly from USPS.
FWIW I am not in a hurry, not sure about others. My Dad had made a Camphor box for my Mom, and it's been a bucket list item for me. I used to do a lot more shipping about, and back when it was just 5 days from ordering, to the mail guy dropping them off. That is why I posted the order page
Big Grin All you have to do is quick math to see how many you need for the wood you have on hand.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-21-2017, 08:00 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hey guys, I have a bunch of camphor wood left over from a silver chest I built some time ago. The wood actually keeps silver from tarnishing. It also keeps moths away. The wood smells just like Vic's salve when you mill it and it has a very strong smell. One swipe with a hand plane and your nose will be clear. The thing is it isn't really available in the US. I had to order it from China. The boards were all cut small to ship in large boxes. They are probably 4"x24"X1". I Figure I could ship it full size or cut it up for flat rate boxes if there is any interest. If there is interest I will have to work out pricing since I can't find anyone who sells dimensional camphor in the US.

WoodFinder gave me 6 sources for camphor with 1 in ON and 3 in CA. Exotic Lumber Inc in Frederick MD shows rough camphor at $6.95 for 4/4 and $7.95 for 6/4 and 8/4. I have no experience with any of the places that WoodFinder showed me. Just passing the info along for good or bad. Sorry, but I/m too tired tonight to search through all 6 to see if any of them post shop fees or sell camphor dimensioned rather than rough.

As an aside, I got some green 3x3 spindles a while back and was surprised to find out that camphor can spalt.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Iclark, I have found that quite a few places list it on their price list but none I contacted actually have it. That was the case 4 years ago anyway. Exotic lumber was actually one of the places I tried. They also have fiddleback genuine mahogany listed. I know they haven't had that in at least the last 10 years. I'll bet I called 20 different retailers when I wanted it and aside from some small slabs on eBay I couldn't find anything. At any rate if there is enough interest in it I'll pack some flat rate boxes and if everyone can buy it local now I will just hold onto it to keep the moths away. The stuff also works great as a rust inhibitor for tools.
One of my antique chests is a camphor chest. It's almost identical to this one.

https://www.thakehamfurniture.co.uk/prod...t-30-1.jpg
I would be interested in a half box.

Thanks for looking into it.
Florida camphor can get quite large.
Turners often get lucky after the big storms.
Camphor is available in Florida from the small mills on occasion.
I got a 5 flitch set, each fat 4/4 X 16" X roughly 5' some time ago.
I have a couple left.
I've made several table tops with it.
Soft but worth it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I made a 4x4 turned box from some figured camphor wood and my wife loves it.  Yes it is the same stuff that vicks is made out of and it is a pretty wood and takes a shine very nicely.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.