Deck board replacement
If yer not in a major hurry get-er-done nothing-else-to-do, I'd wait till after *next* springs monsoon season.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-28-2017, 02:34 PM)doobes Wrote: Let's review:
  • 1 - yay
  • 2 - nay
  • 1 - references the manufacturer's recommendation
  • 1 - disses manufacturer's recommendations
  • 1 - says wrong material was used

and 1- I LIKE PANCAKES!!
When I get PT decking from Borgs, I hand pick each piece to get the driest boards. Saves discussions like this.
Wink
(07-29-2017, 06:43 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: When I get PT decking from Borgs, I hand pick each piece to get the driest boards. Saves discussions like this.
Wink

When I get PT from Borgs I hope I can find something worthy of taking home, wet or dry.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(07-29-2017, 06:43 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: When I get PT decking from Borgs, I hand pick each piece to get the driest boards. Saves discussions like this.
Wink

I get the driest boards and I still wait. It doesn't significantly shorten the lifespan of the wood to wait.
Douglas Fir has a better resistance to weather than yellow pine.  

My Douglas Fir deck which was built when the house was built in 1956 was fine 60 years later except for the sistered up joists which trapped the water.  Those were shot.  

I eventually "repaired" the deck with the exception of one length of  ledger board that is under an addition.  I used PT for all the replacements.  

But I would say that for the decking proper Douglas Fir is not a bad choice.  I doubt you can find it in 5/4 decking thickness, however.  

But PT is both water resistant and insect resistant.  (It also has some carcinogens so you should wear a mask when cutting it.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Wait till the weather cools and the humidity drops a bit this fall.

Pick a nice sunny day to do the coating.

If the wood is wet is won't absorb as much.

In the end, its a cheap deck so it doesn't really matter what you do.

BTW if you countersink the screws the board is less likely to split.
Let it dry out for at least a couple weeks. you can check if the wood is still wet by placing packing tape over it and let it sit for a dry day and remove tape to see if there is moisture under the tape.
War Eagle!
In the hot dry summer, I wait 5 weeks- two days and 6 hrs.
In the wet cold winter, I wait until the hot summer, then I wait 5 weeks- two days and 6hrs.
Or somewhere along that line. 
Winkgrin

The ends may be swelled longer since it wicks up more moisture when it rains.
Raised