Lock cylinders?
What's the best place to buy lock cylinders? I'll need to replace them on the house I'm buying.

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Locksmith?

rekeying IME is cheaper than replacement just get a quote 

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-22-2017, 10:03 PM)JGrout Wrote: Locksmith?

rekeying IME is cheaper than replacement just get a quote 

JME
Oh. Thanks. Thought it was the other way around. Maybe I just didn't trust locksmiths the last time around....
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I would suggest an internet search for cylinder re-key kits.

I don't have the website I used, but a few years back I also needed to re-key locks as part of a home purchase. I bought matched kits for 7 doors plus extra keys. With shipping I paid about $25. The site also provide a pair of (simple use & discard) tools to make the change easier.

The first door took me 30 minutes. The second took about 15 mins. Once I got the hang of it, the rest took less than 10 minutes each. That was 6 years ago with name brand locks. They are all still working fine.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
I needed to have 10 locks done, and it was surprisingly difficult to do that myself.  I just gave up in the end, didn't have much in the house worth stealing

I once re-keyed a lock using a file.  Same brand lock, wanted all of the keys to match.  Locksmith told me you aren't supposed to do it that way, but it worked fine.  I don't remember it being that hard to get the cylinder out. You can take the cylinders to the locksmith, probably will not cost that much.
I take mine to Ace or True Value. They have done several over the years, inexpensive and great results.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-22-2017, 07:23 PM)Aram Wrote: What's the best place to buy lock cylinders? I'll need to replace them on the house I'm buying.

Thanks!

IF the cylinders are all the same, you can order new ones, but garage doors and some dead bolts are not the same as a cylintrical locksets.  

When I moved in, I bought one matched lockset/deadbolt. got two other sets and had 4 cylinders rekeyed, plus my garage door. Was not expensive.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Thanks everyone!
Best,
Aram, always learning