HVLP vs Spry gun
As I mentioned in my other post using shellac on HM ply. I have 8 large panels now and will have the kitchen cabinets to do later.
I currently have a spray gun for my compressor. Would a HVLP produce better results?
Jim
You need to be more specific. HVLP is a spray gun. Does your spray gun work well?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-24-2017, 06:05 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: You need to be more specific. HVLP is a spray gun. Does your spray gun work well?

My spray gun works well, at least the last time I used it. A very long time ago. My question should be. Is the HVLP any better than a good working spray gun?
Jim
So I take you have an older style, high pressure gun.  It should spray shellac just fine if the N/N is around 1.0 mm (0.040").  The only benefit of an HVLP gun is there is less bounce back and over spray, which means it's easier to spray inside of cabinets and there is less waste.  But it doesn't spray any better than the older high pressure guns.  If you used to spray lacquer with your gun it should spray shellac just fine. 

John
(07-24-2017, 09:24 AM)jteneyck Wrote: So I take you have an older style, high pressure gun.  It should spray shellac just fine if the N/N is around 1.0 mm (0.040").  The only benefit of an HVLP gun is there is less bounce back and over spray, which means it's easier to spray inside of cabinets and there is less waste.  But it doesn't spray any better than the older high pressure guns.  If you used to spray lacquer with your gun it should spray shellac just fine. 

John

Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I am flummoxed -- which is not at all that unusual at my age!

What are you using shellac for and why?

I bought a quart of shellac, . . . about 40 years ago. I vaguely
remember why. It was little used and died in the can a short
time afterwards.

Thank goodness for water based acrylics that have all but completely
superseded shellac and the old oil based enamels. Except perhaps
for tung oil spar varnishes and their gradual degrade on boat usage.

To say little about the flammability hazard in spraying atomized
alcohol around the shop.

Perhaps things have changed, and I don't understand?
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(08-04-2017, 12:18 PM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: I am flummoxed -- which is not at all that unusual at my age!

What are you using shellac for and why?

I bought a quart of shellac, . . . about 40 years ago.  I vaguely
remember why.  It was little used and died in the can a short
time afterwards.  

Thank goodness for water based acrylics that have all but completely
superseded shellac and the old oil based enamels.  Except perhaps
for tung oil spar varnishes and their gradual degrade on boat usage.  

To say little about the flammability hazard in spraying atomized
alcohol around the shop.  

Perhaps things have changed, and I don't understand?

I doubt anything has changed, but you might not understand all the times where shellac is your best friend.  I use a LOT of shellac, especially with waterborne topcoats.  Shellac is the universal sealer; you can use it over most anything and most anything sticks to it.  So if you are using an oil based stain you can spray a coat of dewaxed shellac to seal it, and then have confidence your WB topcoat will stick to it and not peal off months later. 

I use Sealcoat dewaxed shellac most of the time I use shellac.  It imparts a very slight amber tone to most woods and eliminates the dead look that some WB's have.  Sometimes I want a different color, but dying the wood doesn't give the right look.  Often, adding Transtint dye to shellac and spraying one or two toner coats will give me the color and look I'm after. 

If you strip a piece of furniture it's often very difficult to remove the silicone wax that was used on it by well intentioned owners.  This is where dewaxed shellac really saves the day.  If you spray one or two light coats of shellac on it, it will seal in any residual silicone such that whatever you put on top will bond to it. 

You can wipe, pad, brush, or spray shellac.  Not many other finishes are so versatile.  It makes a fine finish by itself on light duty objects.  Old shellac finishes can sometimes be revived with a good cleaning and careful padding of alcohol, or with a fresh coat of shellac.  New coats of shellac melt seamlessly into the old finish, not true of most other finishes.  Yet shellac strips off easily with chemical stripper. 

Shellac is incredibly useful and versatile.  You've been missing out. 

John