Rust stain on vinyl suding
lime-o-sol is ready to spray that's why I went for it. Convenience.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(07-26-2017, 05:27 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: odd, you should mention that.  I'm in the process of doing that now.  Over the years have fought trying to clean the siding and not had luck.  I found something that works great, Lime-o-sol by The Works.  Put on gloves, get a old washcloth.  Spray it on, wait for a minute, rub it out with the cloth, hose off the vinyl.  Works great, I was amazed, I've been fighting with this for awhile.  It works better as the cloth gets soaked.  On a few really bad spots I had to do it a couple of times.  

Now for the bad news, don't know about your area, but I can't find it around here anymore.  I had a little left, used it and ordered some on line, that stuff is hard to find.  It works so well, I'm willing to pay the price to have it shipped.

I tried limeAway, but it doesn't work well at all.  I did a test on two sections.  One with LimeAway.  Tried it, worked maybe a little, but 95% was still there.  Even let it sit for awhile, tried multiple times on the same section.  Sprayed a little LimeOSol and it took it right off.  Didn't see any problems with the vinyl sections where I used it.  Wear eye protection, that stuff started burning my hands when I wasn't wearing gloves.  I'd hate to see what it would do to your eyes.

the acids in LimeOSol and LimeAway are different.

Toilet bowl cleaner {highly diluted} works well to remove iron stains.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've used Bar Keeper's Friend, which is oxalic acid, with great results on rust stains on the white topsides of boats.

I know - what are rust stains doing on a boat where carbon steel shouldn't be in the first place, but PO's are often cheap or ignorant.  So rust stains it is!
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I've learned to use regular powdered citric acid to clean and remove water stains on just about everything.  I picked this up nearly 20 years ago from my department Senior Chief on my submarine.  Dissolve it in nearly boiling water and let it cool to the point you can touch it.

I soak all the shower heads in it twice a year and clean the stains starting to form in the toilets about once a month or so ... and it's literally safe enough to eat and non-abrasive.
(06-24-2020, 01:23 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............................
Toilet bowl cleaner {highly diluted} works well to remove iron stains.

Why you diggin' up threads from 3 years ago?

Confused   
Winkgrin 

You belong in the basement, stirring the pot.

Yes
Oxalic acid (wood bleach) in hot water works instantly.
Tip.
If you need a lot. When it was selling at stores for about $5. Per pound, I found a pool chemical supplier and a 40# was $55.
Split it with some friends.
Wear gloves. It's a cancer causer, they say.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Here is an article discussing this problem.

https://washh.com/washh-resources/how-to...yl-siding/
Commercial Rust Removers

Another way to remove rust from vinyl siding is to use commercial cleaning products. There are a few products that are specifically made to combat rust stains. Make sure to choose a rust remover that contains oxalic acid. This chemical targets rust stains caused by iron and water.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.