anyone ever use any 2 part foam insulation?
I have a small area of rim joist that I really can't insulate too well.  In fact, it wasn't insulated at all.  So I ordered a 12 bd foot kit of spray foam.  It's going to take a lot longer moving stuff out of the way than to spray.  

I was mostly curious about how much of a mess it makes.  I have PPE for it, bunny suit, full face breathing mask with activated charcoal filters, but I'm curious how far away I should cover stuff up to deal with any overspray.
I had the entire rim joist in my place done professionally.No mess or over spray,sure made a difference.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Just had a 36'x 40' pole barn sprayed today....put everything in the middle of the building and covered with a plastic drop cover.

There was a light coat of overspray fallout on the cover, nothing sticky, still obvious.

Ed
Ed, they did the roof too?

What I've done of the basement rim joist so far has made a big difference. Tore the soffit apart in the kitchen so I could do the second floor rim joist there, and it transformed one of our bathrooms, which had previously had a draft every winter.  I would do the rest of the second floor rim joist if it wasn't so invasive.

The section of the basement I'm going to spray is one of the last parts.  I wanted to do it last winter, but I figured there were even odds of the foam failing because of temperature.  Now everything is up to temp, I gotta get it done.
(07-25-2017, 06:51 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: I had the entire rim joist in my place done professionally.No mess or over spray,sure made a difference.

Mel

Did the same and also all of our exterior basement walls (we have daylight windows on 2 sides) before we finished the basement. Made a massive improvement on a pretty new (12yr old now) custom home. I just wish I had pushed my builder a bit harder and had it done for the whole house. 

Its become a commodity now - just pay someone to do it and be done.
(07-26-2017, 07:33 AM)EricU Wrote: Ed, they did the roof too?

What I've done of the basement rim joist so far has made a big difference. Tore the soffit apart in the kitchen so I could do the second floor rim joist there, and it transformed one of our bathrooms, which had previously had a draft every winter.  I would do the rest of the second floor rim joist if it wasn't so invasive.

The section of the basement I'm going to spray is one of the last parts.  I wanted to do it last winter, but I figured there were even odds of the foam failing because of temperature.  Now everything is up to temp, I gotta get it done.

No, didn't do the ceiling. Barn will be all steel interior, I'll do the walls first, then electrical (all in conduit). Ceiling will get fiberglass batts., then siding.

Ed
Overspray with those kits is mostly dripping from nozzle. Put plastic drop cloths over everything in the area before spraying. If you stop for more than 30 seconds the foam can start to harden in the nozzle at least it does for Dows Froth Pak system.
(07-26-2017, 07:39 AM)vernonator Wrote: Its become a commodity now - just pay someone to do it and be done.

I'm going to get a company that does energy retrofits to quote some hvac.  I'll see if they will do the upstairs rim joists.  Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of companies that will do small jobs around here.  A friend tried to get foam on a small addition, nobody would bid.  The area I'm doing is tiny, I can't imagine anyone would do it.

If you watch the instruction videos, they all pretty much tell you to change nozzles if you stop spraying, and they include multiple nozzles in the kit.  I have two areas that need foam, I'm going to switch nozzles after finishing the first area.
(07-26-2017, 01:29 PM)EricU Wrote:   A friend tried to get foam on a small addition, nobody would bid.  

I think the setup costs drive the price into the "are you freaking kidding me? I can do batt insulation for a tenth of that price!!!!"

That's why they won't waste their time on a bid.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I don't know, they have the PPE, just get some of the box stuff, walk in, do the job and send the bill.  No need to set up a trailer full of equipment.  I'm not sure I'm ready to do a job that requires the propane tank size kit, which is about what his job would have required.