Church communion Altar build?
I am on my churches property committee and a work request came in to refinish the Altar. Upon closer inspection it is probably 80% plywood banded in some solid red oak. It is water damaged and lot of glue from tape on backside of it.

My concern is how to refinish between weekly services, it really needs a lot of work. So I started pondering, what if we replace it with more of a solid wood build (Church politics aside). In and out in 1 day to install.

Has any Woodnetter ever built an Altar? Any good resources or plans? Am I going to be tarred and feathered by congregation members for even proposing it?

It is for a Lutheran church where design = less is more. Something organic and timeless, nothing fancy.

Thanks
Veneer plywood and edge banding sounds like a simple casework build to a specific form and dimensions.  Consider duplicating the original.  It probably would be faster than trying to restore a damaged finish.

I did a google search on: wooden church altar

Got a bewildering array of options.  Try it.  Lots of high quality builds there with simple lines.  Some with not so simple lines.
(07-25-2017, 08:41 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Am I going to be tarred and feathered by congregation members for even proposing it?

Sorry not much help with the design question, but one thing to consider; Was the original altar perhaps built by someone who may still have family ties to the church?  I've come across things like that before.  It can be kind of a sensitive issue.  A piece may need replaced or rebuilt, but to do so without upsetting the family of the person who originally built it can be a challenge.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill,

I thought about that and have an email out to the committee that maintains that type of information . Last thing I need is to irritate a founding member.
Look at the church furniture catalogs, if they are available.  The designs, not the prices, which will scare you to death.  What I did for the rail and pridieu.  If not, approximation of the existing sounds good.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I am the chairman of the trustees for my church. My advice would be to "invite" all the naysayers to assist in the restoration. The altar isn't going to refinish itself, and the longer you wait the worse it is going to get. I have had to deal with decisions of the past that were based solely on cost/convenience only to cost more to correct. People do understand that maintenance is required. I would explain to the legacy that the altar isn't being repaired as a slight to the family but as a means to ensure the long term health of the altar.

I would also work with the other committees to give you the needed time to do a proper job. I suggest that the church consider an outdoor service/picnic that would give you a couple weeks to get the project done properly.

Try GooGone to get rid of the tape adhesive on the back of the altar. Also, during the restoration perhaps add some hooks or other permanent attachment system that could be used instead of tape. Usually the tape comes from hanging Christmas decorations or other kinds of stuff for weddings.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Our pulpit was in poor shape (moved and dropped too many times).  The Lord's Super table was only used quarterly but it was 50+ years old and no longer matched anything.  Like yours, both were far beyond any repair.
I offered to build both as long as I had total say so and the church would cover cost of materials, if they liked the finished product.  Actually I drew up designs and presented them to the pastor and music minister (I am good friends with both).  Not having to go through a committee was a blessing. 

My advice, build new.  I did exactly what MichaelMouse advised you to do...looked at Church furniture catalogues for inspiration then got busy.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I was commissioned to build an altar for a synagogue. It was to replace one built any years ago by a founding member (familiar huh.). The congregation knew it needed to be replaced so it didn't make any sense to try and convince them. I had to meet with an "Esthetics Committee" (I am not making this up,). Dreading the encounter, I walked in expecting all kinds of crazy questions, but was pleasantly surprised when the only question they asked was "Was the wood sustainably harv stead?" In fact it was, and things went smoothly from there.
However, the piece took much longer to build than expected; doing a piece that will be the center of prayers (for ANY religion) is a heavy responsibility. Take your time do it right; and make sure the old altar is functional while you're working.