resawing
I have a 14" Laguna bandsaw that I purchased a couple of months ago.  Today I tried resawing some 8" wide x 7' long oak boards.  They were about 2 inches thick and I wanted to resaw them to 1 and 1/4 inches.  I am using a 3/4 inch blade, 4 teeth/inch.  It took considerable effort to push these boards through the saw and as the motor got hot, it repeatedly threw the circuit breaker in my fuse box.  Is this normal?  If not, what am I doing wrong?  Thanks
(07-25-2017, 09:04 PM)artj Wrote: I have a 14" Laguna bandsaw that I purchased a couple of months ago.  Today I tried resawing some 8" wide x 7' long oak boards.  They were about 2 inches thick and I wanted to resaw them to 1 and 1/4 inches.  I am using a 3/4 inch blade, 4 teeth/inch.  It took considerable effort to push these boards through the saw and as the motor got hot, it repeatedly threw the circuit breaker in my fuse box.  Is this normal?  If not, what am I doing wrong?  Thanks

Teeth on the blade pointing downward? as in  toward the table on the cutting side 

how old is the blade? 

8" stock oak is not a super hard cut but it will be slower than turtle for feed if the blade is dull 

the breaker issue led me to the first question above those saws should still cut without throwing breakers 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The blade is brand new. the circuit is 20 amp.
(07-25-2017, 09:56 PM)artj Wrote: The blade is brand new.  the circuit is 20 amp.

What style tooth configuration? hook raker skip is it bimetal or carbon steel 

Also you did not answer all the questions above 

they are not meant for anything but helping 

IDC about the circuit unless saw is not rated for 20 amp  your issue lays in the saw setup  the motor getting hot is the first clue something is amiss 

you now know the breaker is doing it's job properly
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-25-2017, 09:11 PM)JGrout Wrote: Teeth on the blade pointing downward? as in  toward the table on the cutting side 

Do check this; it's a possibility.  When I was at a guy's shop to buy a parks planer, I was admiring his laguna bandsaw.  And then I did a double-take.  The blade was upside down (teeth facing up).  I mentioned it to him, but I'm not 100% sure it registered.
(and in the spirit of  full confession, I've done this with a circular saw before -- this is really not good for carbide teeth, btw)

Matt
Which blade is it? I am betting tooth direction simple mistake.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I purchased the blade from Woodcraft.  It is a hook tooth  blade.  The blade cost about $30.00 so it is probably a bi-metal blade.  I definitely have the blade teeth turned the correct direction,
Thanks for your help.
take the blade off turn on the saw. any odd noises scraping screeching rubbing any noticeable wear points inside the cavities? look closely 

spin the top wheel in the same manner looking for the same things

Any set in the teeth?  Counts even when resawing cured wood.  All it takes is a bit to help the dust clear instead of packing the teeth.  

Doesn't hurt to hand turn in reverse and wipe a bit of oil on the blade, either.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a late model Laguna 14" BS and am using their carbide re-saw blade: like a hot knife through margarine.
I assume you have tensioned the blade per the owners manual, and remembered to put the tension handle in the "tension" position when cutting? Don't ask me how I know about that potential mistake.