Bowls 2, Crokett 0
I'm attempting to do a an anniversary present for my wife. I have probably a dozen bowls that were turned green, at least 3 years ago some are closer to 5 years old. The first one I tried was an oak one. I ended up with a catch that tore half the bowl off. The second was pear, I started working on it and realized after about 10 minutes or so I hadn't left the wall thick enough and I was going to turn through the wall trying to get it round.
Angry Next up is more pear from the same log, but the wall is much thicker, so maybe 3rd time is the charm.
Bummer on the catch.  Keep the gouge oriented like a |c and slightly below center going inside.  With the rest up as close as possible, of course.

Measure your blank.  Inside cross-grain is inside minimum dimension.  Make sure you have that much plus thickness along the grain.  Fall short, and you might still be able to make a bit more shallow piece.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
thanks. I know better. the catch was just me being stupid and out of practice.
Well after some measuring and checking with the calipers I was able to save the second bowl. After some careful turning it's ready for sanding.
There is always diamonds.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
[Image: 2QccuFh.jpg]

Laugh
Laugh