Put that into the category of what was I thinking
For years I have been running my CNC really slow because it would skip a step and the z axis would drop 1/8" and continue on if it was running too fast. 

It got to the point where in doing a simple 2 line engraving maybe 20 characters per line, .40 text height, would take 25-30 minutes. Not terrible since it just runs in the background, but it bugged me cause that should take maybe 8 minutes at worst.

So I started looking at my options for getting a second machine (that would run faster). Really didn't want to drop 3-5k on a plug and play machine. The couple that I liked that you built or had to assemble that cost in the under 2k range had drawbacks I didn't like. One didn't run on Mach3 (what I currently use, and want to stay with) the other was essentially what I have but slightly larger. Really don't have the time to build my own from scratch and its not worth it since I can only go about 2' x 4' in my current shop. If I am gonna ever build one, it would be 5'x10' so you can drop a sheet of ply on and go. 

So I was looking at computers I noticed the minimum requirements to operate mach3. 

Then it hit me.....go look at the computer that is running the current setup and see where its at (keep in mind Ive had the CNC for 6-7 years).....

Yup....1.7Ghz processor and 1GB of memory 
Crazy  WHY did I have a computer that was borderline able to run it to start with? 

$50 to ebay and now I have a 2.8Ghz box with 2GB memory and the first thing I tried to carve was at least 5x faster. Ill get it honed in tomorrowand probably pick up more speed.....

Glad I had that stroke of genius.....really didn't want to drop 2k on a new machine. 
Rolleyes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Are you running it using constant velocity? I noticed it sped things up quite a bit on mine.
VH07V