lock replacement for craftsman tool chest
https://padlocks4less.com/tubular-key-lock/

[Image: mei-2400as_right_tilt__64210.1451928395.224.300.jpg?c=2]

https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-...95054.html

[Image: image_13365.jpg]
(07-29-2017, 03:28 PM)joshua5 Wrote: I appreciate all the info.  I've seen the tubular locks and would like to purchase.  my tool chest is 26" wide and has a rod coming out the back towards the back of the chest.  I guess I'm just wondering which lock works with this system?  I'm guessing I may have to take it apart to see what it looks like and do the best I can at matching it up unless anyone has any experience/advice they want to share?  thanks again everyone!

My very old top box has a common lock like posted by Daddo.

I'm guessing you have a fairly common lock body with a purpose built latch. It would make most sense. But, without pictures or something, we don't know.

The type of lock we suspect it is fits a 3/4" hole (with or without a straight side for rotation prevention). They come in multiple lengths and you would need to know that. You would also want to make sure the drive feature for the locking tab is the same.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I agree with Phil.  Then have him fired.  Or show him (or her) the video, and tell them, you were thinking of showing it to the Personnel dept, putting it on Utube, or selling it!
if a company requires people to use their own tools, they should at least have a security camera.
Are you handy with electronics?  Start with an off the shelf car alarm system, but wire it up so that it activates upon unlocking the cabinet, but you can deactivate it with the remote before you unlock it.  Set one of the outputs to trigger a camera (or several) in the event the system is triggered.  Of course, also include the siren.  Pics and video of the surprised perp should be golden.

Then after you nail them, change the lock.
probably just get a pick-resistant lock.  The normal ones can be picked in about a second.  I think the round ones can be opened with a bic pen, but I'm not sure.
I bought a used Craftsman tool chest set which didn't have keys. I called sears and they mailed me keys after I read them the numbers off the locks (which are stamped on the outside of the lock). Hmmm sez I, this system makes it pretty easy to get into a co-worker's tool box.
(08-09-2017, 12:31 AM)A Squared Wrote: I bought a used Craftsman tool chest set which didn't have keys.  I called sears and they mailed me keys after I read them the numbers off the locks (which are stamped on the outside of the lock). Hmmm sez I, this system makes it pretty easy to get into a co-worker's tool box.

I did the same thing with a Husky box from Home Depot. Bought the floor display. No keys. Called the manufacturer and had keys mailed to me. Never thought of the fact that someone could have that done that and opened my tool box at work. Interesting.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
that's too much work though, I'm convinced it's an amateur lock picker.  Those locks are really cheap, easy to pick.  We could all probably learn how to pick a toolbox lock in an hour of watching youtube videos

does this guy work with the OP? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64hKYpQTQY
heh, I decided to call my own bluff.  I picked the lock on my Craftsman toolbox and now I can't unlock it.

I watched some more videos and now I wonder if he has a bump key. Nearly instantaneous unlocking if you know what you're doing.