Downsizing and Moving = Painful
hi this is Robert  here in pc  I have  been  looking  for your move. give me a call 850 3292  some time . Robert  by the way i'm in hiland park , about 4 miles fgrom you.
Richard, I'm right there with you. We are planning a move to Maine in the near future. We have shed most of the crap from the house, but I haven't started on the shop yet. Not looking forward to it. Been running my business for thirty years, 15 at this location. It's going to be hard.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
We thought about moving several times as I drew closer and closer to retirement. Both Tennessee and Western NC had called to us as well as a couple places out west where land was available, and population was low. But... I did the same thing others did. I took a look around.

I looked in the woodshop.
I looked in the loading room.
I looked in the boathouses.
The I took a hard look around the little farm.
Meh... why move?

Too much stuff too move...
And we have a nice quiet place here.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Ho Boy!

I remember the pain.

First move was when I closed my 4000sf commercial shop in a hurry because I had a great employment opportunity. Put all the machinery in a large storage bay. Later sold to a nice guy commercial pilot who wanted to start his own shop. Two or three truck loads as I remember. All of the usual large 3-phase machinery like the 16-inch by 12 foot slider, vac, air compressor, etc. and smaller stationary units -- 8-inch jointer, 13-inch thickness planer, moulding machine, and on and on.

All the many many hand tools were stored in the second bedroom of my then house. Eventually sold most of them via eBay about 15 years ago.

Still have the 10" Delta table saw I later bought about 12 years ago and which has mostly been in storage. Plus, my complete woodworking library and periodicals (including Fine Woodworking #1) which are currently stored in many packing boxes here in the office at my latest house in southeast Florida.

Now have to figure out how to sell them, or donate to the local library system.

Whew!

Now too old and don't have the room to do anything complex; plus this house has been completely remodeled so don't need much to futz around in the garage mostly helping 55+ neighbors with little projects they have.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Great to hear it worked out for you.  I'm sure I'll have to migrate from my basement shop at some point to, and I'm not looking forward to it.  Ohio to Florida?  Retirement?
(07-28-2017, 05:18 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: A number of knew that I had a wonderful basement shop in central Ohio - 15 1/2 ' by 33' - heated and air conditioned. I spent many happy hours in that shop - building - restoring old tools - <snip>

Same here.  I've waited since I was a kid (the Beatles were going strong then), studying my Dad's Delta catalogs, and eventually buying my own tools and small machines, working in my parents' basement.  I now have a small but nicely equipped shop in my basement that I've been working on and in for the last 15 years.  And I'll have to give it up soon, when we move to warmer climates.  
No

Wish me luck.

Good luck.  
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I'm in NJ, having lived in NC for 6 years, and really, I'm pretty sure I will stay in NJ or PA through retirement. I just can't handle the heat and humidity of the south, like I said, BTDT.  I respect anyone's decision, but I don't that it's for me. If I could convince my bride, I'd sooner move to Vermont, or even Maine, to retire. With climate change, it could get pretty moderate up north.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral, You will always be welcome to visit me up in Maine once we get settled.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I am 61 years old and I'll find out this week whether I need to move to Florida.  It would be a promotion for me, so that would be nice.  My company will ship all my stuff, but finding a home with enough land to support a shop will be a challenge.  I'd rather not work out of my garage if I don't have to.  Biggest challenge for me will be rust.  Since I now live in the desert, rust isn't something I deal with.  If I don't move to Orlando, I'll likely retire here, then move once to a sane state that doesn't tax, tax, tax.  That move will be on my dollar.

Good luck on your journey.  I think the hardest part was downsizing.  Glad to hear your shop is coming along and I hope you get to start making sawdust soon.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-13-2017, 10:06 AM)AHill Wrote: I am 61 years old and I'll find out this week whether I need to move to Florida.  It would be a promotion for me, so that would be nice.  My company will ship all my stuff, but finding a home with enough land to support a shop will be a challenge.  I'd rather not work out of my garage if I don't have to.  Biggest challenge for me will be rust.  Since I now live in the desert, rust isn't something I deal with.  If I don't move to Orlando, I'll likely retire here, then move once to a sane state that doesn't tax, tax, tax.  That move will be on my dollar.

Good luck on your journey.  I think the hardest part was downsizing.  Glad to hear your shop is coming along and I hope you get to start making sawdust soon.

Hope you get the promotion and decide to move to our State.  We are veteran friendly and have relatively low taxes.  

Your concerns about rust was true in the ole days but have now been pretty much solved by new protectorates.  For sure though you wouldn't want to leave a piece of cast iron lying around unprotected or uncovered.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink