Metal Working
I know there are some folks on this forum with extensive metal work experience. Does anyone incorporated metal work with their wood work.  When I was in 8th grade shop class, I made a magazine rack combining some flat bar scroll work with wood.  I am thinking about picking up a Chiwanese metal bender and incorporating some metal features in my work.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I'm one of those that do both wood and metal, and I have used my metal working tools to do a lot of tooling and hardware for my projects, but I really haven't incorporated much into the design. If you have something in mind that you want to add scroll work into, I can only add encouragement. Besides a bender, you would probably want to add some way to cut the bar stock to length. Using a hacksaw will get real old real quick.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
If you start working with metal, it won't be long before you start craving a mig welder, a good grinder or better, a belt grinder, good drill bits, reamers, rivets and riveter, hand grinders, and all that stuff.
Metal at the box stores costs many times over what you pay at a supplier. 1" flat x 21' here costs about 12 bucks at the supplier. At the box store- 6' of the same is about 15 bucks if I remember.

I haven't incorporated metal and wood yet, but I do have plans on solid metal/wood tool handles this fall.
That's how I got my machine shop, well a metal lathe and a mill/drill. A cabinetmaker was shutting down his studio, he had purchased them to do some metal work for one of his designs.
A man of foolish pursuits
I do mostly metal work now. I am what you call a home shop machinist. My woodworking tools do not get much use anymore.
Metal working tools consist of power hack saw, milling machine, two drill presses, two lathes , and a shop made 1" x 42" belt sander. The metal working tools come in handy to build wood working tools too. I built a wood lathe, panel saw, drum sander. I also have built a horizontal band saw for a friend that uses it to saw lumber.
mike
Hand forged iron hardware have for centuries been an integral part of woodworking. At time one can find surprisingly clever designs that the oldtimers have come up with.
I think modern fabrication from cut and cold bent parts welded together is a method more suitable for parts for a harrow or for barn doors than for things you bring inside the house.

I think you should get a forge and an anvil and a leg vice and a bunch of hammers and tongs sp you can make proper goodlooking scrolls and other nice shapes on your custom hardware.

I am not a very good blacksmits but usually when I need a forged part I find a way to make it using an old portable forge that I found on the dge of a field and got for free and rebuilt, and an anvil I found at a local scrapyard and then rebuilt, and a leg vice that I bought from a diseased blacksmith's estate. Tongs and hammers and set hammers are flea market finds.
I think I have around 150 euros plus a good bit of rebuild time tied up in my blacksmith's tools.

I also have a big DC stick welder and a gear head drill press and a few grinders and such. In fact I do a lot more fabrication work than blacksmithing but my fabrications are for more practical needs where looks don't matter too much.
Some day when I get rich I want a metal lathe........ a 14" metal shaper is on it's way home within a month or two.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Many of my (boat building) projects combine wood and metal. And I have vertical mill, metal lathe, metal bandsaws, tig welder, etc.
Wood is good. 
most of the stuff I do in my shop is made on my metal lathe.  I just expanded it a little so I can get to the woodworking tools a lot better. I have a Diacro bender, so I could do scroll work if I got some dies for it
Here is a bed I made a couple years ago with a metal rail that I welded up and then had power coated.

Attached Files Image(s)

"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"