LP Siding Application
Hi there,

The  project involves the 'facelifting' of an existing 12x24 structure, currently covered with painted 1/4 inch plywood. 

Given the building is out of plumb by nearly an inch and to jack it up slightly is not feasible, what would be the best way to start the first 4x8 LP siding sheet? 

Do I use the existing sheets the guidelines or do I cut the first sheet so that it plumb and hence the guide for the remaining sheets? My concern with the latter option is that I run the risk of missing the studs needed for nailing. A possible solution is the use of construction adhesive in conjunction with nailing along the top and bottom plate.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Windr
I don't think there is anyway to make this look good using Smartside without getting the building close to plumb. The vertical lines on the panels will make it very obvious that there is an issue with the structure or the installation.  Is there any chance you can switch materials.  I would think that vinyl or cedar shakes could be used to hide out of plumb issue.  
 IF it were me I would remove the 14" ply, i cant imagine it being in very good condition.Then you could pull the building back into plumb and side with the LP smartside.

But, if you must proceed with you current plan...I would cut the top and bottom of each panel in an effort to match the vertical lines to out of plumb on the building.  That way your corner trim will be parallel to the vertical lines when you install it.