Mantel Complete and Mounted
Finally done!  I really like how it turned out.  It took a while, but I'm sure I could make one faster now that I've done one this way.  The polyurethane application is always torture for me.  I like lacquer better where I can spray it all in a day, but I know that lacquer would probably be a bad idea above a working fireplace.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Here is the "before".  I don't mind the rustic look, but this was a warped fake beam painted brown.

I like it. Is that red oak?

Nice work.
Nice,  I especially like the shadowlines.
Very nicely done. Adds a lot of character to the space.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Thanks all. It is red oak. I tinted golden brown Transtint, stained with Cabot golden oak stain. It's just flat sawn. I usually like QSRO better, but I had this left from some cabinet work.
Looks great! Big upgrade to the space.

Ed
That looks really sharp and goes well with the brick.
I think it looks great.  And I think flat sawn looks better here than the QS would have.  

Great job.  Huge upgrade.  That's the type of house upgrade, that for me, would result in convincing her of more tools...
Very nice design and work you did there.  But have you been asleep for the past 20 or years?  There are many good water based finishes available now that dry almost as fast as lacquer and allow you to finish a project in a day.  General Finishes, Target Coatings, and others make a range of products from which to choose.  If I had to pick only one, it would be GF's Enduro Clear Poly .  Sprays like a dream.  If you prefer a product that you can both brush and spray, and is incredibly durable, then try EnduroVar. 

John