Extrusion, or what to build router table from?
Another somewhat forgotten option.  I built Norm's original router table perhaps 18 +/- years ago and its served me quite well and is a pleasure to use.  The dust collection was designed well too, I hook it up to my main line and it does the job.  He did a subsequent redesign, improving certain things.  You can still get the plans for $10 or so, I don't think you need the DVD to build it, I know I didn't as the measured drawings were very clear; here's a link:

Norm's "New" Router Table Design

PS:  figure to add a mobile base too, I did and it has proven its worth to me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-31-2017, 10:03 PM)Aram Wrote: Thank you for the recommendation. Why the lining? For soundproofing, or for another reason?

I'm curious, too.  I'm about to build a router table and I'm assuming it's for soundproofing but maybe it's something I need to think about adding.
Thanks above for the Misumi link; new one to me.

Have always built such things with 3/4" hardwood plywood.

If mounted on (two locking) casters, always choose the next larger size
than what you initially thought.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Yes cork for sound deadening.
Cost wise plywood is going to be cheaper, both you still have to assemble them square, or you will have trouble from the start. If you get it pre-packaged like Kreg, Rockler etc, cost is obscene compared to shop built, still have to assemble it square though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
After years of using a pair of saw horses to support my custom router table with Jess-Em lift, I just bought this Rockler Steel Router Table Cabinet

I love it. I could not be happier.

[Image: 41427-05-1000.jpg]
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I repurposed an old tv cabinet, stuck a jessem top/lift/fence. Added hole for DC and has worked well for years.
Have thought about building Norm's version, but have not had much motivation.
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
I've built several things from 80/20 extrusions and I like it a lot. I have always submitted a drawing of the project to the 80/20 in-house consultants. They offer suggestions, price the project, have the components cut to my specifications and shipped to me. It is not cheap. In fact, it's pretty expensive, but the finished product is really nice with a high tech "WOW!" factor and super solid. I'm thinking about building a new bench for my lathe out of 80/20 components - as soon as I can save up the cash. Unless you just want to design your own router table, I'd look to buy a ready-made one. There are a lot of good ones on the market and you'd probably come out cheaper than building with 80/20.
(09-08-2017, 03:32 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: ... It is not cheap. In fact, it's pretty expensive, but the finished product is really nice with a high tech "WOW!" factor and super solid.

80/20 for a router table is a great idea, except for the cost.  It is easy to work with, it is solid, it is a great product.  However, a cabinet made from wood/wood products is plenty sturdy enough and a lot less money.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
80/20 is needlessly complicating it. What more do you want than to be able to use your table saw's fence with the router?
Wood is good.