V Drum Sander
I've thought about building one off and on. Anyone else have one? Are they worth having?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I have the 24 inch V Drum sander from Stockroom Supply.  http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sand...-2950.html  I have been very happy with it and it does a great job, within it's limitations. Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you.
Earl
Are the results and time savings verses a random orbit sander worth the money and used shop space?
I think so, as it doesn't really take up much space. It is far superior to a ros for taking off large amounts of material and for final finish sanding while getting the pieces flat, it isn't called the flat sander for nothing. Everything registers off of the flat table top and as long as you keep the piece flat to the top it will come out flat. It is not a hands off process, like a normal drum sander. You have to feed everything through by hand and the smoothness of your feed will have an effect on the final product. If you stop and start there will be small spots where the drum will take out more material, from stopping the feed. These spots will have to be cleaned up, so the better you are at smoothly feeding the material the better the result. Dust collection is also very good and with the paper floating on the drum you don't get any burn spots and much less build up on the paper. Paper last a long time and is very easy to change out. When I initially got mine I was making some end grain cutting boards for Christmas presents and the V drum made sanding and flattening them a breeze. Like I said it has it's limitations but if you use it for what it is intended. sanding things flat, it does a great job. 

I have been unable to do any woodworking for some time, due to health reasons but I am finally back in my garage shop now and I just added a Jet 22-44OSC Drum Sander to my shop, so I will be using the V Drum less but I will still use it for some jobs. It's quick and doesn't require any setup to use.
Earl
(08-01-2017, 05:32 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Are the results and time savings verses a random orbit sander worth the money and used shop space?

The wood used obviously can be gotten anywhere, and all of the parts can be sourced at McMaster Carr for a lot less $$$$$ than stockroom supply. They just make it easier using their "kit"  The absolute best use for them in either a straight drum format, or as a flap sander is removing paint. Something about that small crease that a direct to the board sander just can't do. It's magical.
Big Grin

Crazy thing is they show you how to build your own Nice people at this company, they used to always be at "Thee Woodworking Shows" haven't been for a while, so not sure if they still are.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Is the actual drum itself a part besides the shaft, or do they fabricate it? Everything else is just bearings, pullies, belt, and hook/loop backing/paper, but I wasn't sure if the drum itself is something that could be found.
Their site is mush right now so I hate to say for sure, but used to be you could buy just the drums for paper, or flap drums from them directly, as well as any other parts. Found some video, look to the right, several more at U tube.
Big Grin
Cool

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW