Best book for someone interested in learning woodworking
OK....I know I should push one of the PW or Lost Art Press books...but I think for someone totally new to the craft, the best book right now is Nick Offerman's "Good Clean Fun." While it's not the most informative nor does it have all the basics or a good basic tool list (there are good books mentioned in this thread that do both of those things), what Offerman does that I don't think any other WW book does is get across the fun – and that's paramount if one is looking for a new hobby. I love, for example, the Frid books...but they probably speak more to someone who's already said, "Yeah – this is what I want to do."

Gots to hook 'em first!
My first thought is that there in no one single best book. Have the Doc make a short list of projects and then help to prioritize them bats on skills, tools, etc. to find a good series that makes sense. Then with that we can recommend books accurately. Otherwise it is just guessing.

Example, Frid's books are good but maybe your Doc is really more interested in lathe work. So then something from Raffen or Rowley makes more sense.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Wow, lots of options.
I had actually thought of ordering "Hybrid Woodworking" as I watch most of Marc's stuff and like his demeanor.
Nick Offermans book also seems like a good choice.
Not sure what would whet his appetite to get started, but thinking that something less technical would be appropriate.
I might order one of Frid's books for myself to see how it reads ( and to help me learn a few things?)

Thanks for all of the suggestions
I'm with Rob Youngs reply, the interest has to be there to thrive on. Find his interest and go from there --
What the Heck, Give it a Try
This is the one I started out with. True, it is old but relatively simple and appropriate for a newbie.

https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Cabinet...making+for
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
I have Psoriatic Arthritis, which is similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis in that it is caused by the immune system and is totally debilitating.  

I got almost total relief once the insurance company allowed me to get the immune suppressing drug.  It would have been cheaper for them to hire an assassin.  The drug, an injectable, cost $1,800 per month plus quarterly blood tests and visits to the rheumatologist.  I did the math once and it came to close to $30,000.00 per year.  

Happily after 5 years the condition went into remission.  So if you are on this sort of drug it is something to look forward to.

I lived in an apartment until I was 49 at which point I got my first table saw.  Most of what I learned I got from magazines.  I look back at early projects that I was so thrilled with at the time and I see all kinds of mistakes.

A lot of the books I bought taught techniques that were quite old and had grown out of fashion.  One taught me that grooves that ran the same direction as the grain were called "grooves"; only cross grain was called a "dado".  That distinction has been lost for many years.  

But even the oldest books had a few tidbits of good information.  Nowadays you have the internet.  If there is an adult ed evening course in your area I would consider that.  

While tools and techniques are well-documented in the books, safety habits are not so well covered.  A teacher would invert that emphasis.

Hopefully your arthritis remains at bay.  My only problem is the damage to the joints that happened while the insurance company was fighting me on the issue of getting the expensive drugs.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Honestly, for me when I started woodworking I didn't go to books. I started looking at magazines, mainly Woodsmith. They offered more than one style of woodworking, and numerous projects. By having more options within the format I was also exposed to different skill levels. Which allowed me to start with something I felt more comfortable with as I built my experience and confidence...

Just thought I'd throw this out there. If you've got a handful of old magazines, you might consider taking them with you to your next appointment. It might be a little less overwhelming while showing him several different types (flat work, turning, intarsia, carving, etc...) of woodworking - as well as the tools involved - that may strike a chord with him....

Two pennies worth,
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Dave, that's a great idea. I have quite a few FWW and PW saved.
I'm gonna bring those next time.
(08-08-2017, 04:17 AM)johndi Wrote: Dave, that's a great idea. I have quite a few FWW and PW saved.
I'm gonna bring those next time.

So you are going to perpetuate the myth of doctors having old magazines in the waiting room?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-08-2017, 10:02 AM)Rob Young Wrote: So you are going to perpetuate the myth of doctors having old magazines in the waiting room?

At least they won't be last year's AMA Journals.