Best book for someone interested in learning woodworking
I have rhumetoid arthritis and my doctor is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. At my last visit he was asking about my ability to function, and I told him that I was recently able to get back in the shop without any pain. 
His eyes lit up when I told him about my hobby, and he said that he would love to try woodworking.

My next visit I would like to bring him a book to encourage his interest.

I'm assuming that he doesn't have any tools or experience but I feel like I saw the same "spark" in him that I felt watching NYW growing up. (He even commented that he'd love to come to my house and help with a project)

So, that's a long winded way of asking what one book would you recommend to give him to help him put his desire into practice?
i liked the "Joiner and Cabinetmaker" published by lost Art Press.

It has some simple projects that form the basics of woodworking. Perhaps you could act as the Journeyman helping your friend through the process.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Paul Sellers working wood 1 and 2.

My favorite. Cheapest and most relaxing barriers to entry as well.
Tage Frid published 3 books on basic woodworking in the 1960s or 70s: Book 1 - Joinery, Book 2 - Shaping Veneering and Finishing, and Book 3 - His Favorite Designs.
The books are dated by modern technology, but invaluable for basic woodworking instruction. His style is simple, easy to read and understand. They are available from Amazon and other sources. I don't think you can beat them for basic, simple woodworking techniques. The first two are the ones to start with. I don't find the third book all that helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Tage-Frid-Teaches...1561588342
A blank sheet of paper for his list of projects that he wants to build.
The first project should be a footstool using the Kreg jig.  Then see if he wants to continue with the hobby.
Or any of Megan's "I Can Build This" series.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
https://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Woodworkin...OwSgy3S8Pw
Second vote for Tage Frid. Books One and Two come in a single volume and he covers hand tools and power tools with clarity and humor.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
This book pretty much covers it all from the tree to the finish.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=12641494308&searchurl=tn%3Dcabinetmaking%2Bmillwork%26sortby%3D17
I was about to make the same recommendation. "Cabinetmaking & Millwork" is a foundation textbook last updated in the 1970s, but the techniques are sound even if the pictures look a bit dated. Same author has another book "Furniture & Cabinetmaking", either is a good foundation.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
So many ways to approach this.

I do like The Joiner and Cabinet Maker for people who are interested in a really traditional, low-tech approach. Pair it with The Anarchist's Tool Chest, and you're off to the races.

Also, +1 on anything Paul Sellers has put out. He's a very good teacher, practical and direct.

Overall, though, I'd recommend that he pick a relatively simple project--say a small shelf or box--and get set up with the necessary tools and work surface. Just start trying to build stuff. If the bug really bites, then he can just add tools and skills as needed until he has a relatively complete set of tools and skills. Here's where an introductory class could really help, too. There's nothing like getting into a fully equipped shop with a good teacher. If there are any good classes remotely nearby, that would be the ideal place to start.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop