sharpening PM-V11
I've seen and felt Adam Cherubini's edges - I know they are sharp. I doubt that mine are quite that sharp but they cut wood and leave a nice surface, It's easier for me to follow a process because I use a honing guide which eliminates a myriad of variables. The process is slower than freehand but, I think, surer, especially with the harder steels such as PM-V11. I used a WS-3000 to create the edges that were my initial benchmarks. Since those very humble days, experience has given me the foundation with which to trust my process.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(02-12-2020, 08:12 AM)wmickley Wrote: Would you be in the 90 percent or the 10 percent?

Ha ha.  You'd probably put me in the 90%.  I'd put myself in the 10%.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-12-2020, 09:02 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ......................................
I believe that probably 90% of those who use edge tools really don't know how to sharpen them.

I don't know the percentage but I do think it is high...judging by my conversations with folks over many years....And I would add another mistake to your list of two...not maintaining a consistent angle while honing or stropping..Watching folks attempt to sharpen edges is sometimes laughable...It is evident that they do not understand what needs to be done OR what they are doing...And many times they blame their failure on the steel, the stone, the oil or the strop, when it is actually their technique.

I agree completely with Allan's post and will bet a ten-dollar bill he knows what "sharp" is an how to achieve it !!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jack.  I do know what "sharp" is and I know how to achieve it - and maintain it.

When I say 90%, I'm including weekend warriors who aren't woodworkers - like home improvement projects, etc.  If it's woodworkers in general, the percentage is higher.  If you only include woodworkers that primarily use hand tools, the percentage is higher.  Heck, we neanderthals are practically all sharpening nerds.  As for myself, I have discovered a method that works for me and that's my primary method to sharpen. There are many ways to achieve "sharp".  If someone wants to use only Arkansas stones, that's fine with me.  If someone wants to only use sandpaper, that's fine too.  Diamond stones only?  Sure.  Whatever works.  I don't subscribe to the theory that there's a best way to sharpen.  

My thing is understanding when you have sharpened to the level where your tool cuts easily, leaves a good surface, the edge is durable, and it's easy to maintain that edge.  These are all subjective terms.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-13-2020, 02:32 PM)AHill Wrote: Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jack.  I do know what "sharp" is and I know how to achieve it - and maintain it.

When I say 90%, I'm including weekend warriors who aren't woodworkers - like home improvement projects, etc.  If it's woodworkers in general, the percentage is higher.  If you only include woodworkers that primarily use hand tools, the percentage is higher.  Heck, we neanderthals are practically all sharpening nerds.  As for myself, I have discovered a method that works for me and that's my primary method to sharpen. There are many ways to achieve "sharp".  If someone wants to use only Arkansas stones, that's fine with me.  If someone wants to only use sandpaper, that's fine too.  Diamond stones only?  Sure.  Whatever works.  I don't subscribe to the theory that there's a best way to sharpen.  

My thing is understanding when you have sharpened to the level where your tool cuts easily, leaves a good surface, the edge is durable, and it's easy to maintain that edge.  These are all subjective terms.
I went to a woodcarving show last Saturday down in Sebring, Fl...and it is surprising to me that some carvers can't sharpen their own knives and tools...They have a collection of them and they switch to a sharp knife when ones gets dull..then take the dull ones to a shop for sharpening {at $3.00 ea. } or to a friend that will do it for them. At another show I attended recently, there was a fellow using two Viel 2"X42" belt grinders, one of which had a stropping belt,  sharpening knives for folks and he was staying busy, spending a couple minutes on each knife....I guess it's all about priorities.......
Crazy  
Big Grin  
Laugh

[Image: fullsizeoutput-ad6.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeinput-ada.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset