low water pressure and best shower head?
(08-01-2017, 06:37 PM)joshua5 Wrote: ok, so the pressure on the outside hose bib reads about 60.  the pressure regulator valve from the city is in the basement.  pressure in my shower (upstairs) is worse than the kid's shower which is also upstairs.  i think i need a new shower head - one that i can take the restrictor out of.  does that make sense?  any recommendations?  i need something with power as my wife is getting grumpy (please hurry)!

interestingly, i've traded the two shower heads and it doesn't help the pressure so i'm wondering if there's some kind of build up in the water line?  although i doubt this as the house is only 12 years old and we have a water softener.

any thoughts/comments on any of this?  thanks all!

Got one of these a few years ago and works great. The flow restrictor is very easy to remove.

Shower Head
Joe
I had crappy flow on a new Kohler hydrorail handheld shower head when we remodeled the MB a few years ago. I ended up pulling out the flow restrictor and no change.

Unscrewed the flex hose from the hydrorail and from shower head to check for blockage and nothing. When I put it back together, hand tight only I could practically strip paint from a car.

Turns out plumber overtightened the fittings which really compressed the rubber washers and restricted flow. Not sure what my water pressure is but am certainly happy with the reaults..
Regulators got wise to the ease of removing the restrictor disks in the heads. We had to replace our shower unit in 2013. According to the Plumber, the flow restrictors are now built into the mixer valve, or he would have 'fixed' it without me asking. Apparently, customers are pissed at plumbers about the loss of flow when changed over.

We also are on a tower supply and our house is very close to hydraulic elevation. They are supposed to use pumps but only turn them on when customers threaten legal measures. They pull the switches after a few months.