low water pressure and best shower head?
ok, so the pressure on the outside hose bib reads about 60.  the pressure regulator valve from the city is in the basement.  pressure in my shower (upstairs) is worse than the kid's shower which is also upstairs.  i think i need a new shower head - one that i can take the restrictor out of.  does that make sense?  any recommendations?  i need something with power as my wife is getting grumpy (please hurry)!

interestingly, i've traded the two shower heads and it doesn't help the pressure so i'm wondering if there's some kind of build up in the water line?  although i doubt this as the house is only 12 years old and we have a water softener.

any thoughts/comments on any of this?  thanks all!
We have This shower head and like it a lot.  I didn't remove the reducer, but increased the size of the hole (don't remember how much...maybe doubled the initial size??).  had it for 2.5 years.  Would buy it again.
Speakman shower heads. Everything else is a waste of time. Get the solid brass ones, not the cheap plastic they've started making.
-Marc

(08-01-2017, 08:13 PM)JosephP Wrote: We have This shower head and like it a lot.  I didn't remove the reducer, but increased the size of the hole (don't remember how much...maybe doubled the initial size??).  had it for 2.5 years.  Would buy it again.

I have done the same and it works great. One style I had was with the multi hole orifice plate and I drilled them all out with my smallest bit, which I think was 1/16". The current shower head just has a restricted passage and is made of plastic so I just drilled a size or two over.

Bob
I would look into why the pressure is low first.
How old is the house, do you have galenized pipes, this could be the cause of the low water pressure which means a new shower head isn't going to help.
I'm a journeyman WWer,

Every projects a journey man.

How was the pressure when the house was new 12 years ago?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(08-02-2017, 06:30 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: Speakman shower heads. Everything else is a waste of time. Get the solid brass ones, not the cheap plastic they've started making.

Yes but even better is the hotel versions which are not low flow... They are very nice and we'll worth the price. Course the one big square one we have I gutted the flow control out of it and we still don't use all the water we pay for every month... The monthly minimum usage amount is pretty high.
joshua5 Wrote:ok, so the pressure on the outside hose bib reads about 60.  the pressure regulator valve from the city is in the basement.  pressure in my shower (upstairs) is worse than the kid's shower which is also upstairs.  i think i need a suitable for low water pressure showerheads - one that i can take the restrictor out of.  does that make sense?  any recommendations?  i need something with power as my wife is getting grumpy (please hurry)!

interestingly, i've traded the two shower heads and it doesn't help the pressure so i'm wondering if there's some kind of build up in the water line?  although i doubt this as the house is only 12 years old and we have a water softener.

any thoughts/comments on any of this?  thanks all!

I've been looking for a high-pressure sprinkler that matches the name. When I first tried Speakman, I was absolutely shocked, like standing at the bottom of a waterfall. My only regret is that I didn't find it earlier.
Pressure means little if you don't have the flow. Remove the head and turn the water on and see what you got.

We use the cheap plastic shower head on a hose. I soak it twice a year in vinegar to clear it out and then replace it every two years. The expensive one's just clog up as fast.