New Deck
New Deck is coming along.  Still need to finish up railings.  Wood is IPE.  Everything that is pine will be painted white to contrast the Ipe.

[Image: full]
There is no person so complete that he can't out-person himself tomorrow.
I dig your stairs.....I want to build mine just like that. Any photos of them during the construction?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

That's a LOT of Ipe'; you must be broke.  But it looks really nice, especially that stairway, very much like one I saw Tommy build on TOH a couple of years ago.  Do you live down South somewhere?  I ask because it looks like your posts are just sitting on cement pads and not a post poured below the frost line as is required where I live.  Anyway, it looks great and I look forward to seeing some photos when it's all done.  I built deck a couple of years ago and can appreciate all the work you put into building yours.

Oh, do you plan to put a finish on your Ipe'?  If so, which product?  Thanks.

John
(08-02-2017, 05:32 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I dig your stairs.....I want to build mine just like that. Any photos of them during the construction?

(08-02-2017, 08:46 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's a LOT of Ipe'; you must be broke.  But it looks really nice, especially that stairway, very much like one I saw Tommy build on TOH a couple of years ago.  Do you live down South somewhere?  I ask because it looks like your posts are just sitting on cement pads and not a post poured below the frost line as is required where I live.  Anyway, it looks great and I look forward to seeing some photos when it's all done.  I built deck a couple of years ago and can appreciate all the work you put into building yours.

Oh, do you plan to put a finish on your Ipe'?  If so, which product?  Thanks.

John

Just  slightly broke after building this deck.  I'm in Iowa,  The Concrete pads are actually footings.  20" diameter and 42" deep.  

The top deck is a little darker in color because we have already applied a coating of "ipe oil".  It's what i see recommended to keep the ipe color.  So far it looks good, only time will tell how often i need to apply.  Directions say once a year.
Wow, those are massive piers, never seen any that large for a deck.

Ipe' Oil faded in just a few weeks on my deck.  Waited a year, per the directions, but wish I hadn't.  The second time was no different.  Looked great for a few weeks then faded quickly.  This spring it looked like it was covered with mud; took all day to clean it.  I put Penofin Hardwood Oil on it this time.  Can't say I'm too impressed with it either.  These products cost $50/gal or thereabouts.  You would think they would actually work.  

I hope your experience is better.  

John
That's a great looking deck. I have to ask, why did you run your joists parallel to the house? Seems like an awfully expensive way to build a deck. I'm thinking you could have used about half that many piers and still been well within code.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-03-2017, 06:05 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Wow, those are massive piers, never seen any that large for a deck.  

Ipe' Oil faded in just a few weeks on my deck.  Waited a year, per the directions, but wish I hadn't.  The second time was no different.  Looked great for a few weeks then faded quickly.  This spring it looked like it was covered with mud; took all day to clean it.  I put Penofin Hardwood Oil on it this time.  Can't say I'm too impressed with it either.  These products cost $50/gal or thereabouts.  You would think they would actually work.  

I hope your experience is better.  

John

So far the Ipe Oil has been on the top deck for about 5 weeks.  It's holding up nicely.  I may put another coat on before winter, but i'll see.  The coverage was much better than what was listed on the can.  The footings were all because of code.  I think they have had a problem with people building a deck and then wanting a roof over it.  then they have to rip out the footings to put in bigger ones to support the roof.  so why not just make people put in huge footings beforehand.

(08-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: That's a great looking deck. I have to ask, why did you run your joists parallel to the house? Seems like an awfully expensive way to build a deck. I'm thinking you could have used about half that many piers and still been well within code.

i ran the joists parallel so that the deck boards wouldn't have any seams.  It's solid board to the step between the decks.  I calculated it and I would have only saved about $300-500.
Gotcha. Thanks. Again, great looking deck.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS