it's always something -- new kitchen sink and faucet
I think we're going to do this stupid countertop replacement finally.  I would like to get a nice kitchen sink and a faucet that I don't have to worry about for 30 years, at which time I plan to be dead, so it will be someone else's problem.  

I am somewhat reluctant to get a Moen or Delta.  Seems like a lot of the new faucets have a lot of plastic.

Are there any better brands that I can still get parts for if I have to?

Also, on sinks.  We have a stainless sink right now with two equal sides.  I'm thinking 60-40 split.  Any good brands to look at?  Should we just go with stainless again?
Just bought new faucets for a new construction home.  My advice is to go to an actual plumbing supply place that has a showrrom.  The stuff in HD and Loves is plastic.  The stuff in the plumbing supply places are the real deal.  We went with the Moen Voss model all over the house ... I nearly had to take a second mortgage buying the tub faucet and spray handle.

As far as sinks, I did go with a single bowl, 36" bow front stainless farmhouse sing by Vigo.  About half the cost of other big names, 16 gauge stainless as opposed to 18 gauge.  This was one thing I did order from Lowes.
How much do you want to spend? The KWC Domo is a quality, high-end faucet.

http://www.kwc.com/us-english/products/s...ml#kitchen

https://www.amazon.com/KWC-10-061-032-00...XNSC95SZZZ
(08-02-2017, 09:37 PM)cams2705 Wrote: Just bought new faucets for a new construction home.  My advice is to go to an actual plumbing supply place that has a showrrom.  The stuff in HD and Loves is plastic.  The stuff in the plumbing supply places are the real deal.  We went with the Moen Voss model all over the house ... I nearly had to take a second mortgage buying the tub faucet and spray handle.

As far as sinks, I did go with a single bowl, 36" bow front stainless farmhouse sing by Vigo.  About half the cost of other big names, 16 gauge stainless as opposed to 18 gauge.  This was one thing I did order from Lowes.

Echo the comment on the single bowl sink.  We'll never have another double sink that's not already  there.
The chrome plating on metal faucets is very expensive.  All the components have to be polished then placed on a rack (manually) then run through the nickel plating line and then removed manually one piece at a time and put on the chrome plating line and repeated.  The nickel plating is "self-leveling" gives the finish a smooth polished look.  But this process is very expensive.

Then there is chrome plating on ABS plastics.  The chrome plating material is identical and they get good adhesion of the chrome to the plastic.  The plastic surface is perfectly smooth as it leaves the mold so no polishing or nickel plating is required.  And instead of hanging one piece at a time on the plating rack, the molded pieces attach to a "tree" and multiple molded pieces get hung all at the same time.

If these parts were made from metal it would have to be racked individually (hand rack four pieces).  If it was done from plastic you would rack one piece and break off the four pieces after plating.  That is the reason that all the small parts on a car's interior that are chrome are made from plating grade ABS plastics. 
 [Image: Injection-Molding-Hot-Cold-Runner-Precis...c-Mold.jpg]

ABS is a engineering grade of plastics and is very strong.  

Having chrome plated plastic parts is not a mark of a cheap product, it is a mark of a value engineered product. So if the spout of my faucet is chrome plated ABS plastic and will last the life of the faucet, I have no issue with it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-03-2017, 06:36 AM)KC Wrote: Echo the comment on the single bowl sink.  We'll never have another double sink that's not already  there.

Yeah ... We've always had issues/problems with the double bowls.  between the individual bowls being too large to do anything in or issues with the additional plumbing and the space taken up under the sink.
my mom was a proponent of single bowl sinks, and I always liked the ones she had.  I'll have to think about pushing that option.
I own rentals and one of the first things I do when I get a new place is replace the double bowl sink. Life is easier for the tenant and for me.  They can wash roasters, cookie sheets and babies if the need exists.  If I get a call about a leak I only have to deal with one drain line and more room to work
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Now the alternative view....

We have a double sink, stainless. Small bowl on the left (maybe 10" W?) with the disposal, larger bowl on the right. Other than a full size cookie sheet, 99% of what we put in a sink fits in the larger bowl. Advantages for two bowls is that there's a basket for the smaller sink where stuff can dry. Two bowls mean you still can handle slop in the small sink while soapy water is in the right. 

As for stainless vs. other materials, I'd never get another porcelain - too easy to chip and always looked dingy. Stainless is good, but will show abuse. Look at getting grates to protect the sink bottoms. We have grates and once cleaned the bowls still look new after 10 years. Depending on what you do for countertops, check out Silgranit (Blanco brand). It's a composite granite that we probably would have gotten if we were aware of it back then.

Finally, don't cheap out on the faucet. You'll use it 20 times a day, maybe a hundred if you have kids. We got a Krauss on Amazon and love it.
don't worry about scratches on 16g stainless they polish out fairly easy.

JUST A PSA if you are dumping crap into a single or even a small bowl sink instead of putting it in the trash buy yourself a snake and the wrenches needed to use it.  If you have a pot of beans or something like that use the toilet to get it gone as the larger line is less likely to have issues.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.