Medicine Cabinet Dilemma
Hi all

Trying to finalize a good medicine cabinet for since 2 days. You won't believe, my bathroom looks so very messy. I'm looking out to store all of the everyday stuff off of the countertop in the bathroom out of sight. My bathroom is fairly large with two vanities, next to the second vanity there is a space where I'm actually planning to place the cabinet. For now I've shortlisted    *link deleted*
I'm confused when I think of it installation. How these cabinets are installed? Are these simply hunged on the wall or should I placed it on a countertop? How does it work? Any Idea? Please help me!!! I'm clueless.
It really depends on your bathroom and how much effort you want to expend on the project.  In my old house, it was just hung on the wall.  If you do this, I would try to hit a stud and not depend on a drywall anchor.  In my current house, circa 1848, I don't have a medicine cabinet as such but a large center mirror with two built in cabinets on either side.  20% for me, 80% for my wife.   In my son's house, he has a recessed cabinet cut into the wall over his sink.  I built the carcass for him with adjustable shelves.  I was hoping he would get a door already.  But alas, that task may be my next project.  Good luck, Tom
There are cabinets that set between the studs and stand proud of the wall for 4 inches, giving a depth of the shelf of about 7".  If you need the storage then that is the way I would go.

Here is an example:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/milford...irror.html

[Image: 404600-white-medicine-cabinet-closed_1.jpg]

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • Features: Framed, Mirrored
  • Material: Wood
  • Design: Traditional
  • Mirror Shape: Rectangle
  • Number of Doors: 1
  • Width: 23-5/8"
  • Height: 31-1/2"
  • Depth: 7"
  • Mounting Hardware Included: Yes
  • Assembly Required: No
  • Mirror Width: 11-1/2"
  • Mirror Height: 23-1/4"
  • Door Opens: Left-hand
  • Number of Shelves: 2
  • Adjustable Shelves: No
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-03-2017, 07:49 AM)Cooler Wrote: There are cabinets that set between the studs and stand proud of the wall for 4 inches, giving a depth of the shelf of about 7".  If you need the storage then that is the way I would go.

Here is an example:

[Image: 404600-white-medicine-cabinet-closed_1.jpg]

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • Features: Framed, Mirrored
  • Material: Wood
  • Design: Traditional
  • Mirror Shape: Rectangle
  • Number of Doors: 1
  • Width: 23-5/8"
  • Height: 31-1/2"
  • Depth: 7"
  • Mounting Hardware Included: Yes
  • Assembly Required: No
  • Mirror Width: 11-1/2"
  • Mirror Height: 23-1/4"
  • Door Opens: Left-hand
  • Number of Shelves: 2
  • Adjustable Shelves: No

I purchased a very expensive new tub for my house last year, the Sheba Acrylic tub. Within 2 months the tub was irreparably stained, from normal routine use. No amount of cleaning could remove the stains. The company has not been willing to rectify this, and I am quite disappointed. The tub was a huge investment, and it is worthless. Perhaps they just don't like foreigners? It kinda comes across that way. Shame.
(08-04-2017, 05:24 AM)sheriezee Wrote: I purchased a very expensive new tub for my house last year, the Sheba Acrylic tub. Within 2 months the tub was irreparably stained, from normal routine use. No amount of cleaning could remove the stains. The company has not been willing to rectify this, and I am quite disappointed. The tub was a huge investment, and it is worthless. Perhaps they just don't like foreigners? It kinda comes across that way. Shame.
I am going to re-do the guest bathroom this winter.  My choice is to have the cast iron tub re-surfaced or replace with an acrylic tub.  It sounds like resurfacing is a better deal.  The new surface will probably be as wear resistant as the acrylic anyway, and the cast iron is quieter and won't buckle underfoot.  (Plus this is an easier and cheaper option.)  

The tile work will all be new though.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Acrylic tubs, sinks and whatnot are not a long term fix for new, or remodel work in kitchens, and or baths. They are the equivalent of laminate flooring, and you can compare a good cast sink or tub to hardwood flooring. Put junk in, get junk out. Put good in, get great out, it really is that simple. Using the good stuff you get to enjoy it while you live there, and will benefit from a quick sale for top dollar when you sell, a classic win win.

sheriezee I am not sure I follow your parallel? Is the maker of the medicine cabinet the same as the maker of your tub? At the bottom of that medicine cabinet page it says a "lifetime warranty" I wouldn't buy a product like that online, unless I had already seen it in the flesh. However the principle of a medicine chest placed into the wall between the studs is ages old, and is very sound as a way to offer a nice deep storage space if it also projects forward off the wall, or a nice 3" depth for simple small items if flush mounted.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
try to see the cabinet in the flesh. The ones we sell and install are junk. Very cheaply made, nailed together rabbet joints with the nails exposed. Some aren't filled at all. The door frames are worse. Poor quality miters etc. People pay high dollar for this crap, we hate ti install it because it's embarrassing. These are cabinets mad by some of the top cabinet companies in the country.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I've seen a few in stores that I would use, but they are costy, and a person being a "woodworker" could easily fashion a nice cabinet to use of quality materials, then if it's cheeep it's on you
Big Grin

The sides and shelves are easy, for the trim think door trim, and hang a door with a mirror. I used to build them just like that. Starting inside, and building out.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
OP looks like a clickbait spammer to me.
Comes in with a made up story, can't get the english sentences quite right, inserts a link that when someone clicks on it, gets paid for his post.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020