Plug-in dishwasher
Is it allowable to add a cord with plug to the dishwasher and plug it into an outlet rather than hard wiring it?  Can the dishwasher and disposal share a circuit or do they need to be on separate circuits?

Thanks,
Paul
new dishwashers use cords instead of hardwiring. In fact I don't think hardwired dishwashers are sold anymore, they want a means of homeowner disconnection.

But the key is, the machine has to be installed in the manner intended by the manufacturer to meet code. So if the manufacturer doesn't allow for anything but hardwiring, it should be hardwired.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
My dishwasher (and Garbage Disposal) are on a dedicated circuit that they plug into under the sink. I assume it is GFC protected and I know there is nothing else on that circuit.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(08-04-2017, 08:21 AM)PedroOhare Wrote: My dishwasher (and Garbage Disposal) are on a dedicated circuit that they plug into under the sink. I assume it is GFC protected and I know there is nothing else on that circuit.

Pedro

Oh and ditto this.
I think a cord for each of the devices is a wise choice. It easily enables a low profile air switch to be used for the GD...
I have provided a dedicated outlet for each. In making a decision, it could be dependent on the hp of your garbage disposal. Ours is a 1hp...
BTW, reading through your post again I think I can imagine you have a dishwasher intended for hardwiring and a free receptacle under your sink, right next to where your disposal is plugged in.

If I was confronted with that setup and I wasn't too overly concerned about hitting the fine points of the code, I'd go get an appliance cord intended for dishwashers (home centers and hardware stores carry them), and I'd use Wago Lever-Nuts to connect the stranded wire of the cord to the (likely) stranded wire from the dishwasher, and I'd plug my cord into the free receptacle.

You will likely have to remove spade lugs on the end of the appliance cord, and strip some insulation, to use the Wago Lever-Nuts.

If, while you're doing this, you see a terminal block on your dishwasher where the spade lugs of the appliance cord will properly fit, you could just connect there, too.
Building code doesn't apply if I recall correctly. However, the UL requirement does. i.e. Code says hook up in accordance to how it was tested. So, consult your installation manual and do what it says. If, of course, you care. Some may say you can do either. My dishwasher came with a cord and that is how it is installed.

If I also recall correctly, you don't use a GFCI on dedicated circuits. The GFCI is to protect the person, not the appliance. In the case of dishwasher and disposer and such, it has no purpose. The only thing I know on a dedicated circuit that requires a GFCI is a spa (for obvious reasons.
Smile )
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
The new dishwasher (and the old one, apparently) allowed for a plug installation so that's what I did.  Took me dang near forever to get the new outlet wired up in the sink cabinet.  I really wish I had removed that center cabinet stile when I remodeled that cabinet.  At one point I was seriously worried I would not be able to extricate myself.

Anyway, plug-in installation is definitely the way to go.  After replacing the shutoff valve, braided hose, and installing the outlet, sliding in the new unit and making the connections took less than 5 minutes.

Thanks,
Paul
My plug is in the adjacent sink cabinet. Half of a duplex 20 amp plug. Other half of the plug is the disposer. Makes life easier. Fresh water and drain is the same. Hole through the cabinet side to snake the wires and hoses.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry