Replacing a small section of subfloor
I removed an old shower in our MBR. To remove unused plumbing back to the closest branch, I had to remove a section of subfloor, but the section straddled a floor joist. So I've got no subfloor that's about 1' wide and 1' to the left and right of the joist. I was thinking to open the section up to 32" so the ends of the new subfloor would be on joists, but what about front to back? That new seam would be unsupported. I hope that makes sense. This area is partially underneath a vanity I'm replacing and a small sitting area where someone's feet would be if they were seated, not standing.

I was thinking about adding 2x4 blocking between the joists at the seams so the new floor couldn't sag at those seams. I will be chiseling off the old tile which is thinset to the wood underlayment. The new floor would be subfloor, existing wood underpayment, Hardiebacker, thinset, tile.
I would and have done that. I installed a cleat, glued/screwed, to each joist at each end of the 2x4 as well...
I've done joist hangers and 2x4's before when I've replaced sections of subfloor that do not fall on joists.
(08-05-2017, 08:01 PM)Andydiy Wrote: I've done joist hangers and 2x4's before when I've replaced sections of subfloor that do not fall on joists.

Yep
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
glue and screw 2 by blocks( on the flat) on the underside around the perimeter of the hole to create a lip around the hole for new piece of subfloor to be supported on.
Perzactly.  Plenty strong enough for a 2' x 1' patch on top of a floor joist.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.