What power tool are you most cautious with?
(08-07-2017, 02:52 PM)JGrout Wrote:  I do not tolerate fools. 

"Mirror, mirror on the wall" comes to mind.....

Doug
(08-08-2017, 12:18 PM)Tapper Wrote: "When you're losing the argument in the court of public opinion, resort to name calling."  That's really all you have, along with your self-professed "expertness" (there's a new word for you) on everything from soup to nuts. Never had a Griz saw, BTW, your highness. Next time you look in the mirror you'll see the personification of that which you call others.

Doug

Doug 

you ever look at anything I ever did? 

you ever attempt anything I ever did? 

you seem to think I am a hack that has nothing better to do than harass people here?

What you do not have is any of this that you can verify or even show other than your own personal opinion that to you I am a hack. 

It is your attitude and your constant reminder that there are people out there who like you have no clue what the craft means or the levels to which one can attain IF they would just listen to rational thought and logical advice that would allow them to put fear aside and attain even a higher goal. 

You choosing to defend this very ridiculous argument that fear should be a part of the equation is why I fight so hard against the idea that it has a place in any skill. 

So anytime you attack my position I will once again show just how silly the position you hold so tightly to is unfounded 

IOW TS Doug you got zero to contribute except the following: 

You allow fear of something new or old to stop your progress; the conclusion is you just give up I guess  or go out and spend unnecessary money to protect yourself when the ability to do so has been proven to work for decades as long as the operator has been properly educated and factors like alcohol or drugs have not come into play. The people who get hurt are the ones who are not A: paying attention or B: uneducated. or C ignoring the education they were given

which leads me to conclude that to you fear is rational and one must find a new solution to an age old issue. This has been debunked time and time again. 

so, in conclusion I disagree. Vehemently. There is no room for fear in the shop. The very idea of fear conjures up an instant increase in the risk of injury

There is however room for education and skill building through practice and Good sound advice 

Maybe you should consider taking some
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The OP asked what power tool are you most cautious with.  The word "fear" was introduced into the discussion and, whoa, the reactions!

There is irrational fear (a threat doesn't exist) or rational fear (a threat exists).  Rational fear does not necessarily paralyze someone or cause them to act irresponsibly.  It is merely an acknowledgment that a threat exists and one needs to take measures to deal with that threat.  Some call it respect.  Some call it fear.  The King James Bible uses the phrase "Fear the Lord" a lot.  It doesn't mean to be afraid of God.  It means respect God's power and authority.  I don't think that those who've characterized their attitude toward certain tools as fear means they all the sudden cower in a corner and lose concentration.  If anything, I think they probably mean they have full awareness of how an injury can result from a tool improperly used, and they take precautionary measures to ensure they don't become a victim of inattention or misuse.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-08-2017, 12:48 PM)JGrout Wrote: Doug 

you ever look at anything I ever did? 

you ever attempt anything I ever did? 

you seem to think I am a hack that has nothing better to do than harass people here?

What you do not have is any of this that you can verify or even show other than your own personal opinion that to you I am a hack. 

It is your attitude and your constant reminder that there are people out there who like you have no clue what the craft means or the levels to which one can attain IF they would just listen to rational thought and logical advice that would allow them to put fear aside and attain even a higher goal. 

You choosing to defend this very ridiculous argument that fear should be a part of the equation is why I fight so hard against the idea that it has a place in any skill. 

So anytime you attack my position I will once again show just how silly the position you hold so tightly to is unfounded 

IOW TS Doug you got zero to contribute except the following: 

You allow fear of something new or old to stop your progress; the conclusion is you just give up I guess  or go out and spend unnecessary money to protect yourself when the ability to do so has been proven to work for decades as long as the operator has been properly educated and factors like alcohol or drugs have not come into play. The people who get hurt are the ones who are not A: paying attention or B: uneducated. or C ignoring the education they were given

which leads me to conclude that to you fear is rational and one must find a new solution to an age old issue. This has been debunked time and time again. 

so, in conclusion I disagree. Vehemently. There is no room for fear in the shop. The very idea of fear conjures up an instant increase in the risk of injury

There is however room for education and skill building through practice and Good sound advice 

Maybe you should consider taking some

Joe,

This just another pathetic response on your part. Just look at all the "suppositions" you've made with no knowledge or facts. I nor anyone else here has doubted your ability to perform woodworking. You just don't get it. It's your insulting, condescending, "holier than thou" (insert other adjectives that don't come readily to mind) attitude that neutralizes any useable advice you have to offer.

You also seem to play in a "zero sum" game when it comes to woodworking, along with opinions on tools. If any of the credit goes to someone else, that means that it has been taken away from you. Again, I've NEVER seen you congratulate ANYONE here on a tool purchase or a project they displayed. It's all about you, and ANYONE who has a differing opinion from yours is either a fool or just plain stupid, and now you seem comfortable in calling them said names.

Again, pretty pathetic in my view - YMMV.

Doug
(08-08-2017, 01:05 PM)Tapper Wrote: Joe,

This just another pathetic response on your part. Just look at all the "suppositions" you've made with no knowledge or facts. I nor anyone else here has doubted your ability to perform woodworking. You just don't get it. It's your insulting, condescending, "holier than thou" (insert other adjectives that don't come readily to mind) attitude that neutralizes any useable advice you have to offer.

You also seem to play in a "zero sum" game when it comes to woodworking, along with opinions on tools. If any of the credit goes to someone else, that means that it has been taken away from you. Again, I've NEVER seen you congratulate ANYONE here on a tool purchase or a project they displayed. It's all about you, and ANYONE who has a differing opinion from yours is either an person, a fool or just plain stupid, and now you seem comfortable in calling them said names.

Again, pretty pathetic in my view - YMMV.

Doug

You did not bother to read one word did you 

you  just reacted without thought or contemplation 

I may be pathetic to you but I will stand on my ability to educate and show people that you do not have to live in fear.  

What you got?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-08-2017, 01:13 PM)JGrout Wrote: What you got?

A healthy respect for all tools from a safety perspective, and the sense to embrace new leading-edge safety technology when it is invented, a la Sawstop. You seem to ignore the fact that I'm not the only owner of a Sawstop tablesaw.  Pretty successful enterprise, just in case you have yet to notice. 

Stand pat on your demeanor - it's deplorable and you've taken steps to earn every ounce of it.

Doug
(08-08-2017, 12:55 PM)AHill Wrote: The OP asked what power tool are you most cautious with.  The word "fear" was introduced into the discussion and, whoa, the reactions!

There is irrational fear (a threat doesn't exist) or rational fear (a threat exists).  Rational fear does not necessarily paralyze someone or cause them to act irresponsibly.  It is merely an acknowledgment that a threat exists and one needs to take measures to deal with that threat.  Some call it respect.  Some call it fear.  The King James Bible uses the phrase "Fear the Lord" a lot.  It doesn't mean to be afraid of God.  It means respect God's power and authority.  I don't think that those who've characterized their attitude toward certain tools as fear means they all the sudden cower in a corner and lose concentration.  If anything, I think they probably mean they have full awareness of how an injury can result from a tool improperly used, and they take precautionary measures to ensure they don't become a victim of inattention or misuse.
+1

Can't say it better.

Simon
(08-07-2017, 02:52 PM)JGrout Wrote:  I do not tolerate fools. 

This man is promoting fear which is neither fostering new people to the craft nor educating anyone as to the real danger that you can build in your mind that perpetuates the unrealistic fear that gets people hurt. 

To defend or to stand on the very basic fact that you  fear  anything is based in ignorance and a basic lack of the ability to learn.

Joe

A little fear is good.  I had it several times on the battle field and it made me more conscious and thoughtful of my surroundings and other things.  I controlled it so it did not make me freeze up nor run away and fear has to be controlled and used in a good way. 
Yes    Learning the good way either someone learns or does not learn how to cope with it.

You are not a hack nor doob or any other name except sometime over zealous in trying to make someone see your way when others do not think like you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm afraid of dull tools and bad You-Tube videos.....
VH07V  
(08-08-2017, 02:01 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Joe

A little fear is good.  I had it several times on the battle field and it made me more conscious and thoughtful of my surroundings and other things.  I controlled it so it did not make me freeze up nor run away and fear has to be controlled and used in a good way. 
Yes    Learning the good way either someone learns or does not learn how to cope with it.

You are not a hack nor doob or any other name except sometime over zealous in trying to make someone see your way when others do not think like you.

Well I would rather not try to equate the operations on a battlefield to the much tamer operations in a shop. The parameters are not the same and frankly I have not been in battle . so that is not an experience I can equate to a Woodworking hobby shop 

IME you have to look at problems critically,(which is rule one in my book you have the time and if you do not then you take the time) so one really should have a plan before attempting any new skill or task; remember, you are not being shot at as in someone taking aim, so as long as you look at the potential of say kickback and stay out to the line of fire the chances of being hit are reduced dramatically.  

So fear is the worst thing you can take to a shop. your logic defies itself you make a bad decision ( stand behind that projectile and let go because you did not think the entire operation through and it WILL bite back. I know this to be true, I managed a shop where new employees admitted that they could do some task then got hurt because they did not follow instructions of the more experienced personell. this board is no different except that you get bad advice even dangerous advice or you get I would never do that or own that because it scares me. That is self limiting and not useful information 

I am relatively certain that back in the day when I was freehanding arched raised panel with a 4" profile using a 10" molding head I did not approach it with the outlook of OMG I am scared of this procedure ( which seems to the the common thread in using fear as an excuse) rather I knew I had to slow down the cutter speed, make smaller slicing cuts instead of one single cut and ending up with a perfectly formed profile that required little sanding would have sent the fear mongering crowd screaming off expecting  to see a bloodbath. I would have disappointed them greatly. 

I am confident enough in my skills and my experience that to date I have no discernible injuries, have lost no appendages nor been hit by any projectiles. There is very little in the way of machinery I have not operated over the years in either an industrial or a smaller local shop, I even at one time operated the extremely heavy surface coal mining loading and hauling machinery that they tout on the ohh ahh (discovery) channel from time to time. Have you ever operated a truck down a 7% grade snow packed that weighed 680000 lbs ? I am sure you have not but I have Again I managed to go the entire time I worked there without an accident of any kind. Surprising? not really, it was a job that demanded a different skillset and I learned it correctly. 

They key to all this is there is nothing to be scared of, there are times that one should use caution (I do not jump in my auto and drive normally at speed limits on snow packed highways) but I darn sure am not in fear for my life either.

It is irrational. 

Joe