HANDTOOLS: The Finest Disston #7 I've Ever Seen
As if the title to this post isn't enough, let me gush a bit.  This 26" 8pt Crosscut #7 has a perfect etch, solid handle with no cracks or chips, medallion dates it to '96-1917, the golden era of Disston manufacture, straight as an arrow with  no missing teeth, the plate "sings" like a tensioned saw plate should, nib is still there, and the pictures show its condition exactly as I found it when I took it out of its till in a toolbox.  If that is not enough, it is still sharp, like it was filed and put away.  Some very very minor staining, and at the toe on the back side there is a stripe of discoloration, where a galvanized strap held it in place in the toolbox top till.  No pitting, surface only, will polish out.  I did not touch this saw, other than to wipe off the wood dust that was on it.

Lamb's tongue handle, again, other than some scratches and the owner's initials "LL" it is in excellent condition, some nice ray flecks in it too.  Saw plate is deep, I've never bought a new saw in 1917 (no chit) so I can't say its factory full, but it sure looks like it to me.  Its the finest saw I've ever come across that was not at a swap meet of tool nuts.  Again, I put it to some wood and it cuts very well, and tracks straight.  I just cannot say more about this century old saw that looks like new.  If you're thinking about buying a new crosscut handsaw, say a PAX/Flinn from LV or The Best Things (which I happen to think is the best value out there for new saw production, (lousy handle, but taper ground), then this is the saw for you, and for a few dollars more will run rings around a PAX.  Here's a couple of pics to tease you into clicking the link to the album:

[Image: 36008318790_1712dd6091_b.jpg]
[Image: 36008319680_cc0fee4c0b_b.jpg]

and here's the link to the album, and be sure to use the Flickr magnification feature to examine the plate and handle, also note the pic of the teeth:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...4691857773

These don't come up very often in this condition, especially as found as this one is.  I happen to have one just like it in my till, and don't need two.  It can be yours for the very reasonable price of $125 plus shipping.  

As always, the first PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your full shipping address so I can calculate postage and print shipping labels.  I don't have paypal or any other EFT, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are ok.

There you have it, a virtually new, 100 year old saw from the prime of Disston's production, you will not regret this purchase.

As always, tools that I would own myself, priced reasonably.  Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Rich

PM sent for this fine saw...

Mahalo!
Earl
Saw is sold.  Thanks to all for looking. It's a beauty, eh?
Thank God it sold; now I don't have to buy it.
Honestly, best ever that I've found in the wild.  Super example of Disston's best.
(08-06-2017, 08:05 PM)David Knight Wrote: Thank God it sold; now I don't have to buy it.

QFT!
(08-06-2017, 07:58 PM)Admiral Wrote: Saw is sold.  Thanks to all for looking. It's a beauty, eh?
Earl loves fine tools!!!!!!!!!!!
Wink
Yes
Big Grin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yes, I really do.  After spending the day at the beach, I came home and decided to take a quick peek at the Swap N' Sell.  Needless to say, I was thoroughly surprised to see this saw had been available for several hours.  I quickly shot off a PM expressing my interest in it.  

And truth be told, whenever I see an offering from Rich (Admiral) or Jack (Timberwolf), I can only hope it's a tool that I do not already have.  It's always a pleasure doing business with these men (and many others on this site, as well).

Mahalo once again, Rich!

Earl
I do have to add that the Pax backsaws are about as good as any of the boutique makers at one third the cost. My opinion is based on owning a very large number of saws including many boutique makers. The handles need either replaced or refined.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I've always thought Pax was missing the boat with their handles. The Best Things gets them with walnut handles, which is an improvement.