How to turn this
I'm trying to figure out how to turn the detail in the image below and can't figure out how. It seems I saw a video on this once upon a time but I can't find it. Anyone have any links to a video showing this process?

Attached Files Image(s)

To me it looks like it is part of a Celtic knot put into it before it was turned.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I agree Arlin but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've watched how to do a celtic knot but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into a vessel. 

Thanks for the reply Arlin!
A celtic knot is cutting the wood almost all the way thru to 1/8" from the end.  Then put in a 1/8" contrasting wood glue it and let it dry.  Then put in the other 2 or 5 or whatever you wish but glue in each one separately.  Same with even a 4x4x4 block of wood.  Practice a few times on some oak or elm or ash or even pine to get the process down first.

Althought this does not look exactly like a celtic knot all the principle is the same thing.  Cut the wood to within the 1/8" from the side and glue it in and you can put 2 or 3 on each side of a 4x4x4 block.

But like I said glue up some pine and see if it is the results you like.
Yes

I am really looking forward to seeing what you make buddy.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin,
I've never done a celtic knot but I've seen it done. My dilemma or "maybe it's stupidity" is how to make this exact design. To my eyes it looks like a slightly different procedure. 

Maybe I'm just over complicating it! It wouldn't be the first time. 
Big Grin
It's a multi-generation lamination = cut, glued back together cut apart and glued back together again. With that said this just a guess on the procedure or how I'd try it. The top base wood look to be all one piece, what I can't tell is if it was a very thick piece or the cuts were all done on an angle. I would use the bandsaw with a circle cutting jig. Cut what would be a half circle into the main piece 180 degrees form each other, figure out how to do the thin strips blus it back together then do the other 2 sides.

Raised
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Laugh After typing that out Arlin is correct, it's just half of a celtic knot. He started with a square slab, sliced it on an angle glued in the thin strip, rinse wash repeat 4 times. The angle of the cut and turning shape will dictate the elipse.
Yes, I can see where Arlin and Angus are correct. Until now, since the rest of the vessel is segmented I though this part was segmented also. Now I can see it isn't. That should make it much easier!

Thanks guys!

Frank
You are welcome buddy
Yes

Here is a good video of a Celtic Knot Cup.

Watch "Celtic Knot Cup" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/tWxXMurBSkM
Well, I can't see the whole picture, but it looks like it may be the top of a hollow form. If the piece has 4 of the light half loops in it, then it was cut from a rectangular blank, where you cut off about 1/4 or 1/3 of one side, glue in a light piece, and repeat on the other 3 sides. The shape of the loops comes from turning away in that ogee shape. A Celtic Knot comes from cutting diagonally through a square spindle type blank.

robo hippy