Veneer
(08-08-2017, 05:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: Both sides, hide glue, and hammer veneer, unless you have already paid for a bag and pump. Veneer work need not be expensive. My wallet yelps if I think about going to Joe Woodworker. Beside, and especially if it is your first attempt to veneer, with hide glue it's 100% reversible if it needs to be. Little moisture, just add heat/steam and you can peel it right back off, redo it several times until you feel it's right.

Remember those days also. 

Had the flakes and the glue pot.  Still have the hammer I built.

Used a few times but learned and dumped in favor of newer adhesives.

Old old technique. 

Thanks for the nostalgia, Steve.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Is it still nostalgic if it's the only way I veneer? Am I that old????? Yikes, but now the aches and pains make sense.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks so much for all the advice and tips. It appears that there is a pretty resounding consensus on veneering both sides no matter the substrate and on the glue type. I'll give it a go. Again, many thanks!